Talk

Advanced search

White whiter than Timeless?

(18 Posts)
egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 15:55:42

I need a not crazy expensive white paint for a predominately E/W facing house. It gets great light, huge rooms, but can feel cold in the mornings. I have Dulux Timeless in the current house but it feels very magnolia where there's not much light. Is there anything less yellow? I love the look of Milk White by Crown but I'm told the quality is really poor.

Go!

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 17:01:05

Dulux white cotton is a warm toned off white, definitely not magnolia (we had Timeless and I know what you mean). Or Dulux white mist, is a colder grey tones off white.

wowfudge Sun 10-Jun-18 20:06:04

Any reason why you can't have pure brilliant white?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:14:10

It's a massive house, high ceilings etc.... I just think brilliant white will be too much. Plus, kids...... it'd show EVERY mark.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:16:41

White cotton looks bang on, like the Crown Milk White but Dulux. Will def get a tester, thanks.

fizzandchips Sun 10-Jun-18 20:19:35

Crown sail white. Very similar to F&B Wimborne white. Have painted our whole house. It’s fab.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:20:42

How was the paint quality, fizzandchips? That's the colouring I was aiming for, Wimborne White. But still think it could be a bit creamy. DH would rather BW.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:21:05

Love you username btw!

Fannyfanakerpants Sun 10-Jun-18 20:21:58

I was going to recommend white cotton. We have timeless in the hall and white cotton inbthe sitting room. White cotton is much nicer. It's softer.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:23:04

Fantastic. Timeless I like, where it's really bright, or I've got lots of cold lighting, but not when it's dark in the house. IYSWIM?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:23:46

Sorry, hadn't finished. So a colour that's like Timeless, but in bright lit conditions! Hoping White Cotton could be it.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:25:12

A further question... I want to 'layer' the whites.... so would timeless on the wood work be an option alongside white cotton??

Disclaimer - aware the above makes me sound like a knob. I like white.

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 20:33:13

I would worry that timeless on woodwork would look like white gloss that had yellowed ( I could be completely wrong!)
Would grey woodwork work?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:34:55

VERY good point. Ok so normally woodwork is lighter, right, so I got that wrong, so what do I go for, brilliant white? I think currently we have f&b wevet (but that's against strong white which is grey).

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 21:58:00

I wouldn't say it needs to be lighter necessarily, I just think you need to get the right colour. Maybe a bold colour would look good?

villageshop Tue 12-Jun-18 10:29:32

I am liking this thread. What does everyone think of Dulux Rock Salt as a less yellow white than Timeless (which we've used to death in previous home) to go with this John Lewis Persia Smoke wallpaper.

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-persia-wallpaper/smoke/p3095582

egdehsdrawkcab Tue 12-Jun-18 21:09:35

Ok so I'm on the Dulux website.... is it safe to assume the colours online are totally off and not a very good depiction of real life colour?? They all look weird!

WhereIsBlueRabbit Wed 13-Jun-18 13:29:20

We've just used testers in our hall (which doesn't get much natural light). We found Timeless and Jasmine White to be virtually identical - the latter is a little yellower. The one that stood out was Morning Glory, which is one of those Light and Space paints by Dulux to make small spaces look bigger - it was a bright white without looking cold. Might not be suitable for the whole house but possibly worth a look?

And yes, they all look weird on the Dulux website.grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: