Talk

Advanced search

White whiter than Timeless?

(19 Posts)
egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 15:55:42

I need a not crazy expensive white paint for a predominately E/W facing house. It gets great light, huge rooms, but can feel cold in the mornings. I have Dulux Timeless in the current house but it feels very magnolia where there's not much light. Is there anything less yellow? I love the look of Milk White by Crown but I'm told the quality is really poor.

Go!

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 17:01:05

Dulux white cotton is a warm toned off white, definitely not magnolia (we had Timeless and I know what you mean). Or Dulux white mist, is a colder grey tones off white.

wowfudge Sun 10-Jun-18 20:06:04

Any reason why you can't have pure brilliant white?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:14:10

It's a massive house, high ceilings etc.... I just think brilliant white will be too much. Plus, kids...... it'd show EVERY mark.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:16:41

White cotton looks bang on, like the Crown Milk White but Dulux. Will def get a tester, thanks.

fizzandchips Sun 10-Jun-18 20:19:35

Crown sail white. Very similar to F&B Wimborne white. Have painted our whole house. It’s fab.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:20:42

How was the paint quality, fizzandchips? That's the colouring I was aiming for, Wimborne White. But still think it could be a bit creamy. DH would rather BW.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:21:05

Love you username btw!

Fannyfanakerpants Sun 10-Jun-18 20:21:58

I was going to recommend white cotton. We have timeless in the hall and white cotton inbthe sitting room. White cotton is much nicer. It's softer.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:23:04

Fantastic. Timeless I like, where it's really bright, or I've got lots of cold lighting, but not when it's dark in the house. IYSWIM?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:23:46

Sorry, hadn't finished. So a colour that's like Timeless, but in bright lit conditions! Hoping White Cotton could be it.

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:25:12

A further question... I want to 'layer' the whites.... so would timeless on the wood work be an option alongside white cotton??

Disclaimer - aware the above makes me sound like a knob. I like white.

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 20:33:13

I would worry that timeless on woodwork would look like white gloss that had yellowed ( I could be completely wrong!)
Would grey woodwork work?

egdehsdrawkcab Sun 10-Jun-18 20:34:55

VERY good point. Ok so normally woodwork is lighter, right, so I got that wrong, so what do I go for, brilliant white? I think currently we have f&b wevet (but that's against strong white which is grey).

keepingbees Sun 10-Jun-18 21:58:00

I wouldn't say it needs to be lighter necessarily, I just think you need to get the right colour. Maybe a bold colour would look good?

villageshop Tue 12-Jun-18 10:29:32

I am liking this thread. What does everyone think of Dulux Rock Salt as a less yellow white than Timeless (which we've used to death in previous home) to go with this John Lewis Persia Smoke wallpaper.

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-persia-wallpaper/smoke/p3095582

egdehsdrawkcab Tue 12-Jun-18 21:09:35

Ok so I'm on the Dulux website.... is it safe to assume the colours online are totally off and not a very good depiction of real life colour?? They all look weird!

WhereIsBlueRabbit Wed 13-Jun-18 13:29:20

We've just used testers in our hall (which doesn't get much natural light). We found Timeless and Jasmine White to be virtually identical - the latter is a little yellower. The one that stood out was Morning Glory, which is one of those Light and Space paints by Dulux to make small spaces look bigger - it was a bright white without looking cold. Might not be suitable for the whole house but possibly worth a look?

And yes, they all look weird on the Dulux website.grin

egdehsdrawkcab Fri 03-Aug-18 23:29:00

Can we open this up again???

So I'm actually painting this week, well, the decorator is. He's doing slipper satin in bedrooms to keep them cosy, but it's a bit dark for living/dining through room. I'd made my mind up on Wimborne white (or a Johnstones copy of), but DH is already complaining that the slipper satin 'looks cream'.

Question- is the Wimborne white going to be too cream? Room is E/W aspect, good light. Should I go with the Dulux white cotton, or F&B All White???

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: