Talk

Advanced search

Annie Sloane / chalk paint

(14 Posts)
purplegreen99 Sun 27-May-18 12:24:12

This is probably a really a stupid question, but...if I use Annie Sloane or similar chalk paint on a bookcase, is it actually chalky - as in, will powdery stuff come off on my books?

MikeUniformMike Sun 27-May-18 15:52:10

It shouldn't. I'm not keen on it but lots of people like it.

PavlovaPrincess Sun 27-May-18 15:58:27

Not if you wax it once it's painted.

TeisanLap Sun 27-May-18 16:08:27

Wax it after its been painted.

My girls have revamped a lot of furniture using Annie Sloane stuff and the secret is to have a plan as to what your doing and not just set about slapping it on.

Its a bit like food tasting better out of slow cooker when you've taken time to prep it rather than 'oh I just bunged it in the slow cooker'.

purplegreen99 Sun 27-May-18 17:25:37

Thanks for the info about wax. I'm now googling lots of decor blogs to info on how to do this.

Saucery Sun 27-May-18 17:27:32

Frenchic do a range that doesn’t ha e to be waxed.

Ohyesiam Sun 27-May-18 17:34:29

Ime it doesn’t take a lot of wear and tear even when waxed. I did a bureau in my sitting room and anything in it tends to mark it.

purplegreen99 Sun 27-May-18 17:34:52

Thanks Saucery - will look up Frenchic.

ThatsNotMyUnicorn Sun 27-May-18 17:42:24

Annie Salone has a youtube channel with videos of how to paint effectively and how to wax-I found them really useful. I have to agree about it not always wearing well, it's lasted on my daughter's cot and a set of drawers but is coming off on the corners of a wardrobe I painted which gets a lot of use and knocked quite easily.

Knittedfairies Sun 27-May-18 17:46:01

It does mark/chip and I found it difficult to use over a larger area because it dries quickly. If I painted the dresser again, I’d use ‘real’ paint.

Bojangles33 Sun 27-May-18 17:59:21

Even if you don't wax it then it won't leave a residue on your books but it will mark the bookcase less if you wax it. I use the Rustoleum range from B&Q as it's cheaper than Annie Sloan - I think Wilkos might even do their own brand now as well

carbonella Sun 27-May-18 20:00:37

I did a bookcase in it. I wouldn't use it again - I'm an experienced painter, but found it hard to apply, and I didn't like the finish- marks very easily. I use eggshell for furniture now.

Ketzele Mon 28-May-18 00:54:03

Annie Sloan also makes a water-based varnish which I find easier and much more hardy than the wax. It does have a slight sheen, like all matte garnishes, so you lose the chalky look - not a problem for me, but may be for you.

purplegreen99 Mon 28-May-18 15:27:32

I'm now thinking of just doing it in eggshell as it's got to be hardwearing and I don't do a lot of painting, so I think I might be better off doing something I know I can manage rather than needing to learn new techniques.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: