Talk

Advanced search

Wood burner - actual costs

(8 Posts)
Goldilocks3Bears Wed 02-May-18 14:12:42

I have a 1930s semi which has a cast iron fireplace. I’d like to install a smallish wood burner and the assumption is that I’ll need to remove the fireplace, some bricks, line the chimney and install a hearth. There’ll be some redecorating too but I’m not counting that in for now as the whole room needs doing.

What sort of costs have you had for this MINUS the wood burner itself?

OP’s posts: |
womaninatightspot Wed 02-May-18 14:16:35

I did this in the sitting room. It cost £1900 plus the cost of the woodburner.

ihatethecold Wed 02-May-18 14:18:49

Ours was just under 3k including the log burner.
We had to have the chimney lined.

Clipcloppity Fri 04-May-18 08:19:12

We are in the process of doing this now in a Victorian house. We removed the fireplace and opened up the fireplace ourselves and had the chimney swept by a local (HEATAS) sweep who also installs woodburners, we've been quoted around 450 for the install plus the cost of the burner. His view is the chimney is sound and we don't need a liner, with a liner it would be +£900

It was straightforward to it ourselves but be prepared for an awful lot of dust and soot, everywhere

BarbaraOcumbungles Fri 04-May-18 08:22:20

Ours was 2k all in.

BarbaraOcumbungles Fri 04-May-18 08:23:02

That was with a liner.

Goldilocks3Bears Fri 04-May-18 09:56:05

Thanks! I'm not doing this myself and weirdly the building surveyor said the chimney looked like it had never been used so it'll need a proper inspection and I almost prefer a liner just in case there is a problem as a chimney fire would hit the kids' room first..
I quite like the cast iron fireplace I have and considering keeping it and installing a hobbit stove.

First point of call - getting the outdoor fireplace selling in Aldi at the moment :-D

G

OP’s posts: |
JessyJames Fri 04-May-18 10:14:08

Mine cost £4k. That included the log burner, hearth and mantel, removing the old tiled fireplace, and plastering the wall.
Well worth the money.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in