Talk

Advanced search

How to make toddlers room more appealing?

(11 Posts)
Babawoollysheep Wed 21-Mar-18 22:39:05

My 2 year old doesn't like to sleep in his room and I'm trying to think of ways to make it nicer for him.

It's a small room only 9x7 feet. It's painted very, very light cream, he has the dinosaur bedding and curtains as below. And white furniture. There is a built in cupboard which stores all his toys.

It's quite plain at the minute but being a small room I don't want to make it feel cluttered either.

What could we add to make it more homely?

OP’s posts: |
Babawoollysheep Wed 21-Mar-18 22:40:00

That isn't his room by the way, just the same bedding and curtains.

afreshnewname Wed 21-Mar-18 22:45:39

We have a little bed tent from Ikea on our toddlers beds which they love

StarShapedWindow Wed 21-Mar-18 22:49:48

Could he be scared of the dinosaurs at night? What about a night light or some of those star/planet stickers that glow in the dark?

Babawoollysheep Wed 21-Mar-18 22:50:10

Oh I love that. That looks great.

SubtitlesOn Wed 21-Mar-18 22:53:21

Let him choose some pictures or posters of his favourite characters to go on walls

Get stikarounds that you stick on walls

Does he like dinosaurs? Presumably yes, he did but does he still?

Is he able to play in there when you are upstairs with him?

Book shelves with books that he can choose but be careful that nothing can be tipped over on top of him - so fix to walls

Under bed storage boxes on wheels that slide in and out so he can access his toys

Withhindsight Wed 21-Mar-18 22:56:43

Night light which throws coloured stars and moons on walls and ceiling, in choice of white, green, blue, red, or combos of 2, 3 or all 4 colours, stationary or with revolving option, flashing option or flashing and revolving, cost about £10 and helped to get DS settled in own room - does add 5 mins to bedtime choosing the colour and style for the night

Zebrasinpyjamas Wed 21-Mar-18 22:59:57

We have loads of those wall transfers on the bedroom walls-my dc like animals so we mostly have those. It's a pre-bedtime ritual to play games about them, 'who can spot the giraffe first' etc.

Hotteacoldheart Wed 21-Mar-18 23:06:07

Something to ‘lower in the space’ works well I think, so that Ikea tent on the bed is on one of my DC’s bed. And yes, some night lights is a good idea.

Hotteacoldheart Wed 21-Mar-18 23:07:09

Or this.

OmnariStylist Fri 23-Mar-18 09:38:39

Glow in the dark stars are a great option to stick on the ceiling, it will give him something to be distracted with as he falls asleep. Like SubtitlesOn said, he may not like dinosaurs anymore? In this case communicate with him and see what he does like and use that to decorate his room.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in