Talk

Advanced search

Hallway carpet wrong colour!

(41 Posts)
Kittensgalore Tue 20-Feb-18 17:00:37

I am completely aware this is a total first world problem but I have just had a much wanted and planned for hallway/stair carpet fitted and it is the wrong colour. I thought I'd chosen a dark grey, I'm sure it's even called slate but in reality it looks more brown or even green. It must be the light and maybe the time of day (aware I'm completely clutching at straws). It's kind of mushroom colour on the top landing. I'm not even sure why I'm posting other than to have someone reassure me I haven't just spent £££ on a brown carpet?

Bluesheep8 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:23:54

It looks dark grey to me. If I had to guess the colour name, I'd say dark charcoal personally....

Kittensgalore Tue 20-Feb-18 17:53:23

Thanks Bluesheep, that is reassuring. I think it does look dark grey in the photo although the more I look at it the more I see brown. I'm now away for a few days so won't be able to see how it looks in the morning. It's been edged In a dark grey which is how I imagined the entire carpet to look so was just a surprise. I've imagined it for too long obviously!

pancakesunday Tue 20-Feb-18 17:58:01

Colours aside though, it looks lovely 😊

BusterGonad Tue 20-Feb-18 18:18:58

Dark green, more grey than brown imo.

BubblesPip Tue 20-Feb-18 18:47:14

Gorgeous!! I think grey, it looks really lovely

Emily7708 Tue 20-Feb-18 18:49:46

It looks grey to me. Certainly not brown anyway. It looks lovely.

BusterGonad Tue 20-Feb-18 18:52:36

It does look lovely.

WellTidy Tue 20-Feb-18 18:54:00

It is a dark brown/grey to me but I really like it. It looks very smart. I always have a complete panic whenever something new and expensive is put down in my house as I feel that I've got it really wrong and I've wasted money and made a poor decision etc etc. But it isjust that it looks different from what I had there before. It doesn't mean that it doesn't look good! Your stairs look great.

TheCatsWhiskers Tue 20-Feb-18 18:57:10

It seems like it could be one of those carpets which changes colour depending on the light and time of day. I would say more grey than green or brown.

I think it looks great, really elegant.

Good choice OP

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Tue 20-Feb-18 19:03:22

Looks greeny to me in the pic, love it though!

redfairy Tue 20-Feb-18 19:07:20

looks greeny brown to me. But I like it. Lovely staircase Btw

stillgoingstrong Tue 20-Feb-18 19:12:44

I can see what you mean, but I agree with the PP who described it as charcoal. Whatever colour it is it looks great, lovely staircase and really like the colours you've chosen

OhBergine Tue 20-Feb-18 19:14:20

I'd say a dark greeny grey but I think it looks smart OP.

badgerhead Tue 20-Feb-18 19:44:12

I need new stair carpet soon & your colour looks just like what I need, although mine is to camouflage my two black cats' hairs!

Kittensgalore Wed 21-Feb-18 05:49:29

Thanks very much for the reassurances. I was just in a panic once the fitter had left and the more I looked at it the more it seemed to turn brown! The hallway is much lighter at the top of the stairs so maybe that was why it looked more brown further up. But I do agree if anything it is a more green grey than brown grey I think. So annoying am now away until the weekend so can't see what it looks like at different times of the day!

Safe to say think I'm over invested in this carpet- thanks again, your comments have calmed me down.

llangennith Wed 21-Feb-18 05:55:15

Looks dark brown to me and very smart. 10 years ago I ordered a grey mix carpet for my bedroom. At least, I thought I did. When it came it was mid brown mix. I went back to the shop next day and looked at the square sample of carpet and it looked grey. Then I took the sample to the window: and it looked mid brownconfused
I’ve still got it and still don’t like it!

Bluesheep8 Wed 21-Feb-18 07:19:30

I think as a pp said, that because It's a. Different to what was there before, b. Such a large area and c. Such a big investment, it can look "wrong" because it isn't what was in your mind's eye having looked at a small square in a carpet shop. Also, a large area of a colour will appear different shades in different places. For example, we have the same carpet throughout the house and when it was fitted, I was convinced that they'd laid the wrong colour in a couple of rooms because the light made it look different (I even checked the labels and rang the shop blush and they hadn't!) Thinking about it, that's exactly why people pay a premium for farrow and ball paint-because it changes according to the light. Also, if the idea is to have a "natural" colour e.g. grey, then the very fact It's natural / neutral might have that effect too (think of the colour of slate tiles in different light/weather) give it a few weeks and I'm sure you'll love the very things you're concerned about now.

Flomy Wed 21-Feb-18 07:22:07

Change the lightbulbs? Try different ones.

I think it looks lovely.

I know how you feel. My velvet sofa was called grey. Its more taupe/brown/mink depending on my mood

7to25 Wed 21-Feb-18 07:28:31

It is because of the lower paint colour below the dado. Sophisticated colours often change depending on the colour that us next to them. Pure dark grey often looks institutional or officey.

Somersetter Wed 21-Feb-18 07:30:40

It looks fabulous and goes with the wall colour very well. No one else will know it's not the colour intended!

Kittensgalore Wed 21-Feb-18 08:35:04

I did wonder about changing the colour below the dado? I'll live with it for a while. I feel a bit daft because I do remember looking at the sample in the shop and thinking it possibly looked a bit sage but took it out of the shop and it was grey in the natural light. Which obviously is not the case in the house but we do have a big cupola so loads of natural light on the top landing, so I figured it would be more natural light than not. Anyway it looks way better than the monstrosity that was there before . Maybe just need to get rid of the light grey paint and embrace my inner browngrin

Kittensgalore Wed 21-Feb-18 09:02:54

DP just sent a text asking why is the carpet brown confused

HappydaysArehere Wed 21-Feb-18 09:10:03

It looks smart and goes with your paintwork really nicely. Also, it is a very practical colour. Surely the edging wouldn’t be gray if it wasn’t intended to relate to a gray mix.

MrsMyreton Wed 21-Feb-18 09:22:41

I think it looks grey OP, looks lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: