Talk

Advanced search

F&B + Dulux in the same room?

(19 Posts)
Kismett Mon 19-Feb-18 21:17:26

Has anyone done this? I love Hague Blue and want it for one wall of our living room, but would rather not shell out for F&B for the remaining three walls. Would it look very strange if I did Dulux on these other walls? I was thinking of the F&B modern emulsion and then a matt Dulux for the others.

I’m open to suggestions! Also any color suggestions. Hague blue would be behind the television and we have a light grey sofa with cool undertones.

OP’s posts: |
Viviene Tue 20-Feb-18 06:59:13

Are you doing all walls in the same colour? If so I, wouldn't risk two different paint bases for the same colour as you will most likely see the difference. Can you do all walls in Dulux instead?

If it's a different colour (so Hague Blue + something else) than it shouldn't matter that it's different brands.

insancerre Tue 20-Feb-18 07:04:24

It won't make any difference
I often use a more expensive paint for a feature wall and then use b and q for the rest

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Tue 20-Feb-18 07:06:39

I actually get dulux to colour match F&B swatches as their paint is much better quality and coverage. The only expensive brand that actually has superior paint formula is Little Greene.

Kismett Tue 20-Feb-18 09:12:34

Thanks all! Viviene, they'd be different colors so it sounds like it would look okay then. I really like Hague Blue and find it to be a fairly unique color, but am not too bothered about the rest of the walls and want to do them in a light neutral color.

Good to know I'm not the only one wanting to do this, insancerre!

DrRanjs I tried to have a few colors matched and found that while they were close, they were a little bit off. I've heard a lot about Little Greene paints but haven't found them stocked in town, unfortunately.

HagueBlue2018 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:24:57

I've got Hague Blue feature wall and inside the fireplace/bookcases and a Laura Ashley paint on the rest of the walls. It's so striking I think it goes with anything muted.

Kismett Tue 20-Feb-18 09:28:48

That looks so lovely! Especially with the tree up against the blue.

HagueBlue2018 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:32:29

Thank you! I've got pictures there with gilt frames now the tree has gone. The bookcase doesn't show up very well in the photos but looks lovely in the light. I think it's a very variable colour though depending on your light - it's quite a bit darker in my photos than some of the photos on line. I tried loads of f&b blues on some lining paper on the wall before I went for Hague blue.

Kismett Tue 20-Feb-18 09:46:58

I bet that looks stunning. I really wanted to do Hague Blue in the dining room with a gold mirror against the wall, but I don't think it will work in our tiny modern house. Clearly we have similar taste!

Bombardier25966 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:56:18

For mixing look at Leyland and Johnstones (same company). Few decorators will touch Dulux, Leyland is their go to company.

Kismett Tue 20-Feb-18 11:48:20

I'm surprised to hear that, we've had a decorator to do a few bits and he was happy to use whatever we wanted. Is Dulux considered poor quality or simply a higher cost?

Kismett Tue 20-Feb-18 11:49:01

Should have added that we will be painting the walls ourselves, so we can choose any paint.

averythinline Tue 20-Feb-18 11:59:02

I wouldn't mix F&B and dulux in a room as the sheen levels are so different even in Matt Dulux is much shinier and has a different 'density' of colour...(not sure thats the right word)..
Also colour matching is never quite the same we colour matched cooking apple and its nice but not the same...kept that one as painter needed to get going ...but previous match I overpainted as not 'right!
I would undercoat i something v matt like Valspar then just do F&B for last coat on the pale..if It makes that much different cost wise...
Love Hague blue ....

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 14:37:20

We have dulux and F&B in the same room. It looks absolutely fine. The dulux is a creamy white so possibly it might be different if using a colour but it's not noticible or jarring or anything.

I really like Dulux. Never heard of anyone refusing to use it. I've read that about F&B, which can be tricky to work with so understable, but never Dulux.

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 14:38:41

^ should say the Dulux and F&B we have are different colours. Cornforth white (mid/pale grey).

amazonianwoman Tue 20-Feb-18 22:03:57

Agree that Johnstones/Leyland is much better quality than Dulux. And used by the two very high standard decorators I know.

giardiniera Wed 21-Feb-18 08:55:20

I agree with Enid. Our very high standard decorators prefer Dulux.
Horses for courses!

Kismett Wed 21-Feb-18 11:37:44

More confused than ever! At this rate I will be picking cans at random off the clearance shelf.

SweepTheHalls Wed 21-Feb-18 11:43:49

We got Johnstone to colour match Friday and B Down Pipe for our dining room. The quality and colour is fantastic. I will be doing the same for all my decorating in future.... Just can't decide what colour to paint the lounge

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in