Talk

Advanced search

Which chandelier suits better?

(23 Posts)
angela71 Wed 14-Feb-18 01:22:54

We finally moved out of our 1.5 bedroom apartment in London and into a house near Epsom. We are all very excited as we've never lived in a house before. Its amazing how much space kids take! ;P

We really want a chandelier to put in the middle of our living room but I am not sure which to go with. The sofa is L shaped beige fabric (modern), while our other furniture (tv stand, coffee table, bookcases) are definitely classic hardwood (traditional).

I always viewed chandeliers as being classic candle lights, which I absolutely adore. But my husband seems to think we should get something more edgy... These things aren't cheap so I want to make sure we are getting the right one! What do you guys think?

This is the one I want:
www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/elstead-lighting-amarilli-10lt-chandelier-black-silver/

This is the one my husband wants:
www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/kichler-organique-6lt-chandelier/

Am I crazy to think that my husband is crazy... -_-

HuskyMcClusky Wed 14-Feb-18 01:26:40

I actually love the one your husband likes. It looks all woodsy and twiggy. I do like modern mixed with traditional, though. It ‘edges’ it up a bit. smile

Vitalogy Wed 14-Feb-18 01:33:22

I like them both but the first one more. Isn't there anything in between not helpful

SpringHen Wed 14-Feb-18 01:37:48

I usually like modern lighting but hate your hubbies choice although for me it ultimately depends on what kinda light and patterns they throw out which you can't tell from the pics

angela71 Wed 14-Feb-18 01:38:21

We spent HOURS browsing the catalogue on that website and finally narrowed it down to those 2. That's why its such a heart wrenching choice! hehehehe. confused

SpringHen Wed 14-Feb-18 01:42:34

www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/feiss-remy-pendant-light/
I like that one best (unhelpful!!)

SleepingStandingUp Wed 14-Feb-18 01:49:04

Iike your husbands choice but not sure how much light it would cast downwards

SleepingStandingUp Wed 14-Feb-18 01:53:05

www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/elstead-lighting-aegean-8lt-chandelier-aged-brass/
This is nicer, less droplet faffy bits
Or this one, I'd have this one
www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/elstead-lighting-carisbrooke-8lt-chandelier-black/

wannado Wed 14-Feb-18 01:54:57

ohhh def the candle one- not that birds nest!!
not sure who picked what

wannado Wed 14-Feb-18 01:56:34

seriously- have you tried wayfair???

sleepthenightaway Wed 14-Feb-18 01:57:55

I don't like either of them, sorry! Or any of the other ones posted...

We have just decorated our living. Literally. As in last weekend. And I have spent hours looking at lighting so I know how difficult it is.

Because of that I have realised that you should get something you both agree on. To hell with anyone else!

SpringHen Wed 14-Feb-18 02:08:00

I agree about the droplet faffy bits on your choice: make it look cheap

angela71 Wed 14-Feb-18 02:08:31

Wannado - I started with wayfair actually! They sell the exact same two models as luxurychandeliers, but luxurychandeliers is cheaper by over £100, which is quite a big margin of difference.

www.wayfair.co.uk/lighting/pdp/kichler-organique-6-light-candle-chandelier-ukl1469.html
www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/kichler-organique-6lt-chandelier/

its 2am, hehe I'm just going to give up tonight and try again tomorrow. grin

sleepthenightaway - I agree with you... we're going to need to compromise and hopefully pick something that we both kind of like... good advice, many thanks! smile

angela71 Wed 14-Feb-18 02:11:22

I can't do math, I blame the lack of sleep... £80 more like it.

Vitalogy Wed 14-Feb-18 05:55:11

I think if the birds nest was in silver I'd be much better. More light would be reflected too.

mrsBeverleyGoldberg Wed 14-Feb-18 06:14:01

Your dh's one looks like a birds nest.

angela71 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:27:33

Oh no! The Amarilli chandelier I wanted was just sold out yesterday =(

Managed to convince my hubby to get this one:
www.luxurychandeliers.co.uk/product/hinkley-lighting-yorktown-9lt-chandelier/

Its not really a compromise, hehe. I was kind of mad at him for making me miss the other opportunity!

Vitalogy Thu 15-Feb-18 18:31:41

That's very nice, and a compromise too I think.

GreenTulips Thu 15-Feb-18 18:31:42

That last one is by far a more elegant choice!

giardiniera Thu 15-Feb-18 18:52:35

Have you looked at any other websites? Holloways of Ludlow do some fantastic modern stuff and Graham & Green has nice things that are a mix of mid century with a bit of edge.
That said, if you love it, great.

SnowGoArea Thu 15-Feb-18 19:00:41

That last one is by far the nicest and most elegant so good choice!

I thought your first one looked tacky with the mix of black and silver - could imagine it in the bargain bin at B&Q, sorry blush

Your husbands one was no better and reminded of a crown of thorns I'm afraid!

thethoughtfox Thu 15-Feb-18 19:11:33

The first one looks cheap. Sorry. The second one doesn't look like it costs as much as it does but doesn't look ' cheap'

fairylightsdown Thu 15-Feb-18 21:02:21

Not keen on either I'm afraid. Your oh one looks like it would be a bitch to clean too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: