Talk

Advanced search

Laying of tiles in this new build house are odd are n't they?

(3 Posts)
2018name Tue 13-Feb-18 08:42:44

Does anyone know anything about laying tiles? My friend has just moved into a new build house. The tiles in his kitchen have I believe been laid rather oddly. Rather than having, for example, a full tile one end of the kitchen and say a short, cut tile the other end he has short cut tiles the whole way round the kitchen - so he has short cut tiles at the back door to the garden and directly opposite it at the kitchen door and at each side of the kitchen too so when you stand in front of his kitchen cupboards you can see a short cut tile also. I am not a tiler but I would expect maybe there would be full tiles somewhere and not cut tiles round the whole perimeter of the room?

Does anyone have more experienced or expert thoughts on this as the end result in his new kitchen is not great. Thanks very much.

WaterBuffaloDancing Tue 13-Feb-18 17:50:30

If the tiles are stacked one on top of the other then theoretically there should be cut tiles at either end of the wall so it looks balanced.

I have done both stacked and staggered in my house, but it is dictated by the tile size and the cuts you have due to the wall widths.

Bad tiling jumps out at you from a mile away, this sounds like the case here. Even though I have cut tiles at the ends of walls it looks symmetrical and neat.

Can you upload a photo of it?

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 13-Feb-18 17:56:10

It’s because tilers start in the centre of the wall which will be the centre line of the room and lay to either side. Rather than starting at the back door and working across to the opposite wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now