Talk

Advanced search

Is this possible?

(5 Posts)
Newname4me Sun 11-Feb-18 11:25:25

We have just moved house and we are looking to paint our kitchen walls in a matt paint, but I need advice on what brands are best.

We painted a bedroom with dulux once matt paint and literally touching it with bare (clean) hands discolours the wall weeks after painting it. We have never used Matt paint before for walls, we went for silk in last house, but I really like the look of Matt so I want to find something that will last.

It needs to be hard wearing, especially for the kitchen. Is this achievable? Or is matt paint reknowned for this? I imagine chalk paint will be just as bad?

SingingBabooshkaBadly Sun 11-Feb-18 18:04:14

Hi Newname
I think chalk paint would be a nightmare in the kitchen. We have it on the bedroom walls and wouldn’t risk it in a high traffic area.
We had our kitchen done back in the summer. I was keen to have Matt walls but for one let my head rule my heart and went for intelligent emulsion by the Little Greene Paint Company. You can wipe it down. I’m really glad now. I’m sure if I’d gone for matt the walls would be a bit if a state by now!

Buxbaum Sun 11-Feb-18 18:15:23

It's perfectly possible but it won't be practical to have a totally dead flat finish like F&B estate emulsion. I second the recommendation for Little Greene's intelligent matt emulsion - it's only about 5% sheen so still looks very matt (silk is about 20%, I think) but is wipeable. If you want something scrubbable then try Dulux trade diamond matt - you'll have to get it from a decorator's centre but it's properly matt and very tough.

idea888 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:45:06

We have matt, I think its called Crown Super Scrubbable or something like that, and is meant to be more hardwearing and easy to wash than standard matt. We have muddy dogs and it seems to be working well. I think Dulux also do a super-washable version of their matt paint.

indio32 Thu 15-Feb-18 08:40:31

Currently have Farrow & Ball's Cook's Blue in Estate Emulsion in the kitchen and had no issues in the last 3 years.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: