Talk

Advanced search

Communicating the finer details to tradesmen - share your over sights to help others!

(7 Posts)
WooWoo1000 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:43:52

So I just had some laminate laid and asked the tradesman to 'do it a bit higgilidy- piggigidy' (like we had in the hall directly outside the room) rather than every second plank being the same. However, he simply did every third plank the same hence there is still a very uniform look to the planks (which I wanted to avoid!). It struck me that this is definitely my fault rather than his, as is the fact that I just assumed he'd remove the threshold bar into the hall so that the flooring ran through seemlessly - but he hasn't.

Similar things have happened in the past where I've assumed tradespeople to be mind readers so to avoid this happening again I'm hoping people will share similar mistakes so I can avoid making this faulty assumptions when doing up the rest of the house!

Thank you!

Annwithnoe Fri 09-Feb-18 14:57:31

I find it helps to ask some very dumb questions in the early stages, so that you put them at ease and they mansplain everything. It’s tedious but I don’t really know a better way of finding out what they know, and figuring out what I need to specify.

Annwithnoe Fri 09-Feb-18 15:00:16

My FIL would simply stand over them chatting about football, politics and nit-picking every last detail, and he’s always pleased with the micro-managed end result.

WooWoo1000 Fri 09-Feb-18 16:31:16

Definitely think I need to do a bit more chat when they first arrive. I'm always a bit socially awkward and just wanna make them a cuppa then let them get on with it! Think next time I get anything done I'm going to actually spend time writing everything I want down rather than just sending them a pic of the kind of thing I want from Pinterest!

FritzyMousey Sat 10-Feb-18 10:28:29

I also have trouble with trades people not being on the same wavelength as me. I think in future I will try not to worry about seeming stupid/overly picky and just explain exactly what I want and keep an eye on them. Nothing worse than paying good money for a job that's not what you want and having to live with it forever more.

WooWoo1000 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:36:19

I know, I think not worrying about being a 'picky client' is key! I should have popped my head in now and again but I just left him completely to his own devices!

GlitterBurps Tue 20-Feb-18 13:08:23

Don’t leave your husband in the house with builders if he doesn’t like talking to tradesmen. I had a maternity appointment during a kitchen/ utility refit which I had designed. Returned to find DH upstairs watching Netflix, asked how builders were getting on he said fine. Luckily went to offer drinks and found out they had gone off plan and put a stud wall up in the wrong place by 2foot and were about to plaster it. Had to ask them to move it as otherwise nothing I had bought would have fitted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now