Talk

Advanced search

How do I make my hallway more welcoming?

(39 Posts)
HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 10:36:01

We moved here last summer and I still don’t get a happy welcoming feeling when I come home. I need some ideas about colours and what to do to make it nicer. I’ve tried Pinterest but the hallways are so big I couldn’t emulate anything on there.

Would wallpaper look nice in a narrowish hallway with no sunlight? What else can I do to make things more welcoming? I have nothing on the walls.

CrabappleBiscuit Fri 09-Feb-18 10:41:29

We've got a large mirror that helps it feel bigger, and pictures up. A real mishmash of subjects but the frames are all similar so that helps. Also have a table with a lamp that is on a timer so it feels arm and welcoming when get in on winter.

CrabappleBiscuit Fri 09-Feb-18 10:44:01

A bit like this but ours isn't as classy

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 11:02:00

I don’t have space for a table but like the idea of a mirror...I have no idea what I’d put on the walls..might have to take a trip to some charity shops. The walls are magnolia and I hate them but then I’m too much of a wuss to change the colour.

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 11:02:34

I like that picture, I wouldn’t be daring enough to paint a wall that dark!

MammieBear Fri 09-Feb-18 11:06:31

I'd say mirrors, a monks bench always looks good and handy for storage, a chalk board or slate with Chalk for reminders is homely, candles ivory and dove grey are nice shades with silver highlights.

CrabappleBiscuit Fri 09-Feb-18 11:23:48

Give it a go with r paint. It's cheap so it's way to try.

We put up framed family photos on one wall. Tk maxx has nice frames and you can get mounts cut cheaply at picture framers if the frames don't have them. Would you have room for a standard lamp.

FauxFox Fri 09-Feb-18 11:36:21

Can you post a photo so we can see what you are working with?

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 12:16:40

Ok I suppose there is some light. Please don’t judge😆 it looks really shit...I have so many plans and then i chicken out. I was going to get understairs storage last year and then didn’t bother. Still I have no idea how to make it look nice...there’s no space for tables as there are doors and stairs in the way. We take our coats and bags straight upstairs atm. We have a lovely wooden coat hook that could go next to the door.

FauxFox Fri 09-Feb-18 12:22:26

It’s not too bad! I think a big mirror above the radiator by the door and some kind of picture on the wall at the end would make a big difference... you need to find a picture that makes you feel smiley to welcome you home!

windchimesabotage Fri 09-Feb-18 12:22:36

Fairy lights on a branch in a vase?

ForgivenessIsDivine Fri 09-Feb-18 12:24:52

Colour (green / blue / grey) Put a radiator cover over the radiator and put a mirror above it. Some pictures on the end wall and then something at the bottom of the stairs (a basket maybe) for the shoes, bags etc but if you can get away with it.. avoid using the entrance for clutter, mine is a mess but we don't seem to have anywhere else to put sports kit, instruments, shoes, coats and try to put them in the understairs cupboard but things leak out!!

flissfloss65 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:27:27

A radiator shelf and mirror above.

Nice display of photos on far wall as shown in previous poster. Have that wall in a different colour.

Can coats be hung to right of front door?

50sQueen Fri 09-Feb-18 12:27:36

Large mirror over the radiator. End wall painted diff colour and some photos on or a large picture. Perhaps a runner rug too?

50sQueen Fri 09-Feb-18 12:33:44

Have a look in Dunelm they have some good stuff.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 09-Feb-18 12:40:33

You have a great blank canvas OP it would be easy to transform it, I see you have no space for a table but you could put a radiator cover on with a mirror above. Lighting is very important so if you could put a couple of small lamps on the cover that would give a lovely soft warm welcoming feel I would paint the end wall a dark striking colour with a gallery of different size pictures or another large mirror to bounce the light around and a rug to add softness. One final thing I hate hallways where people hang coats and bags on the stairs! It’s a real bug bear of mine as it creates a feeling of clutter, lack of space and mess as soon as you walk in, ban all that to your understairs cupboard if you have space.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 09-Feb-18 12:47:57

I think i just see the end of a light bulb in second photo.
Get a real statement shade for it (again I recommend dunelm)
The contrast wall with pictures that someone posted would look good on end blank wall facing door.
Don't put a mirror there, it will make you think there's someone there every time you open the front door!

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 09-Feb-18 12:52:22

Yes breakfast I did think that when I posted it but I’m terribly vain so would find it very useful grin

GuntyMcGee Fri 09-Feb-18 12:55:24

I agree with others. Radiator covers to hold pretty nick nacks, mirror above the radiator cover to bounce light around.

Get some light and space paint on the walls - the colours are all pale but will add a sense that the space is cared for.

Whether you paint the far wall a brighter colour is up to you, but using it to display pictures and artwork is a great idea as it's the first thing you'll see as you walk in.

Then look at little pops of colour that you could add in the nick nacks, frames and light fixtures.

Start slowly, you don't have to get it all done on one go. Paint the walls first and build from there.

apron66 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:02:35

I would put a full length mirror on a navy wall facing the door to lengthen it. What’s under the stairs? If it’s not a loo just a cupboard then open this up to create the idea of a wider hall (if the floor is easy to replicate) and have a rail there that is more likely to be used without a door and forces you to not dump stuff inside.
Have a picture shelf over the radiator for personal pictures and add texture with some funky anaglypta wallpaper painted a warm grey!
Well that was a nice diversion from my blocked drains :-)

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 13:03:36

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a radiator cover/shelf and a mirror too, so that’s something I will definitely do! Thank you everyone! I also love dunelm so will plan a trip during half term although it does overwhelm me! I’ll have to go with a strict idea of what I want.

Not sure what kind of colour I could do at the end, I really like the dark grey, but afraid it will make everything look smaller and squashed. I also like the idea of art work at the end. Wondering whether blowing up some of my kids artwork on canvas will look weird? If I did choose something it would have green/blue as I love these colours together.

Thanks for all the brill ideas, I’m going to look at some radiators covers online now! And yy to cluttered hallway...I’m thinking whether I should go ahead and book the understairs storage 🤔..and yes!

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 13:04:56

Sorry didn’t finish: and yes! That lightbulb is ugly, I would definitely like a shade there.

pallisers Fri 09-Feb-18 13:13:04

I'd paint it a soft buttery yellow. agree with the radiator cover. I'd put a large canvas at the end - love the idea of blowing up a kids painting.

BeachyUmbrella Fri 09-Feb-18 13:34:44

The nice thing about a dark grey or dark blue for the end wall is that it makes all the pictures you put on it really 'pop'.... we've just painted one room Hague Blue and the pictures and the telly look amazing suddenly....

Navy is the new grey!

HateSummer Fri 09-Feb-18 18:46:57

Wow I’ve just looked at some Hague blue living rooms on Pinterest...I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now