Talk

Advanced search

Wall art - help!

(10 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Wed 07-Feb-18 23:38:21

I’ve got a large living room which I’m trying to accessories with pictures, mirrors etc and it turns out I’m shit at it.

Are there “rules” about hanging things on walls such as should the top of mirrors and pictures all be at the same height around the room? Anyone got nice examples of their walls they’d be happy to share, particularly with a chimney breast?

Also I can’t seem to find any nice prints or pics to hang - colour scheme is pastels and grey. I’d like white framed pics with shades of blush pink - I like coastal scenes and animals. Any recommendations?

AjasLipstick Thu 08-Feb-18 00:10:55

Here is a good article with some sensible "rules"

www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-hang-artwork-properly-57-inches-from-the-floor-6174

For prints don't forget that buying posters of nice artwork and framing them in Ikea frames is fine.

www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Placid-Sunset-Posters_i10250403_.htm

www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Seascape-Near-Les-Saintes-Maries-De-La-Mer-Posters_i10580572_.htm

www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Seashore-Posters_i13066677_.htm

Chocwocdoodah Thu 08-Feb-18 09:18:50

Brilliant - thank you!

Sirrah Thu 08-Feb-18 10:15:53

I plan to lay my paintings out on paper on the floor first, then once I'm happy with the arrangement I can mark the placement and transfer them to the wall using the paper as a guide. Groups look better than dotted around the room.

Can I urge you to look for just one piece of original art that you love? It often works out cheaper than prints, and helps to support artists.

Chocwocdoodah Thu 08-Feb-18 16:58:53

I’d love to find one piece I love! But struggling..... plus I’ve got lots of wall space so do need a few.

frostedfields Thu 08-Feb-18 19:37:36

Desenio is good for prints smile

Dowser Sat 10-Feb-18 12:28:28

I’ve made some of my own.
I’ve done some acrylic pours
Check out Amy Pearce on you tube. I like the dirty pour method and use some white pva glue in each paint and a spray of tyre silicone ( tyre silk) in some of them.

Dowser Sat 10-Feb-18 12:30:29

They’re just hanging on my wardrobe doors so I can see the effect.
I’ve done two small ones with more white in.
I’m not sure which I prefer.
My walls are white.
Oh and it’s tyre slik
It’s good fun

MairzyDoats Sat 10-Feb-18 14:50:22

They're so cool Dower! Did they cost a lot to do?

Chocwocdoodah Sat 10-Feb-18 20:47:01

Oh you creative types!! I’m crap at stuff like that!!

PS they look great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: