Talk

Advanced search

Cost to remove anaglypta wallpapers

(8 Posts)
user1486141930 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:41:44

Hello Everyone,

Just want to have a rough idea about how much it would cost us to remove anaglypta wallpapers, skimming the walls and painting. Its a 3 bed terrace house, with those wallpapers all over the living space and bedrooms. Has anybody removed them ? We are just worried about what it would reveal under the wallpapers !!

Thanks,

Sirrah Wed 07-Feb-18 16:27:29

Anaglypta itself isn't hard to remove, it's the layers of paint that make it difficult. If it's an older house the plaster might be past its best, and removing the paper could reveal serious problems. If you really can't live with the paper, do one small room as a test before doing the rest.

vicmitts Thu 08-Feb-18 20:19:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PasDeDeux Mon 12-Feb-18 14:29:48

We just had our living room decorated (1930s house) which had anaglypta wall paper and artex ceiling. Once they'd removed the many layers of wallpaper it was discovered that the plaster was not in good condition so couldnt just be skimmed. All of the plastering (including the ceiling) was I believe £800. Are you planning to put new wallpaper up or just have paint on the new plaster? The only reason I ask is because we ended up with SO MANY hairline cracks on top of our new plaster, because of the condition of the bricks underneath. We ended up having to have lining paper put up which was then painted white, it was either that or the new plaster needed to be ripped off and then have plaster boards up instead! It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest..

user1486141930 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:48:41

We are in dire confusion. I know quite a few people who have done several home improvements. But the quoted figures were never same as actual cost. And I really don't want to spend a fortune on walls!! Its a very think anaglypta wallpaper. Its in good condition. I can always repaint them. But the fact that I don't really like wallpapers of any sort. Now I am not able to decide whether I should call in few professional plasters and check the quotation . Because I know when things turn worse, you just cannot leave the work in mess, and then end up spending thousands. I am really worried what would get reveal under. So you mean to say a single room plaster cost you £800. And how big is your living room.

user1486141930 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:50:48

Thanks for the reply. yeah thats a good idea to do a small test before jumping on to big things. But do you have any first hand experience of removing anaglypta ? and then plastering the walls . I just want a rough estimate of the cost.

StoorieHoose Tue 13-Feb-18 11:37:44

If the walls are okay can’t you just get them lined rather than plastered

PasDeDeux Tue 13-Feb-18 13:44:01

Our living room is 14 by 14ft. We actually got a good price because we know the guy that did it, another quote we had was a few hundred more. We could have ended up spending more because all of our new plaster started to crack due to the brick condition, so we could have had it all ripped off and started again with plaster boards and then plaster on top of that. To save time and cost we went with the lining paper option instead. Basically be prepared for it to cost more than quoted, and take longer than they say it will!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now