Talk

Advanced search

Painted kitchen cabinets should I put something over to protect?

(10 Posts)
Bluefargo Tue 06-Feb-18 20:33:05

We’re in the process of getting our 1980s pine units sanded, primed and painted. Paint is farrow and ball pavilion grey so unite a light grey.

Do we just leave it at two coats if it looks ok or should we putting some kind of a protective coat over? Has anyone else done this or not done it?

amazonianwoman Tue 06-Feb-18 21:58:55

Have you bought the paint yet? If not, go to a trade place (Johnstone's very good) and get the F&B colour mixed in oil based eggshell. F&B eggshell is water based and not tough enough for kitchen units imo.

mineallmine Tue 06-Feb-18 21:59:33

My kitchen is painted in F&B (Slipper Satin) and it doesn't have anything over the paint. Just make sure whoever does it does perfect preparation so that the paint adheres well. And make sure you cover any knots in the pine because they'll eventually bleed through.

Bluefargo Wed 07-Feb-18 22:26:33

I followed the advice in the pic and bought eggshell - - I didn’t know oil based would be better, I thought there’s a chance that oil based paints yellow over time?

it’s done now he primed it all very well (sugar soap, sand, prime) and it looks good. Fingers crossed the toddlers and very clumsy husband don’t destroy it!

mineallmine Thu 08-Feb-18 10:14:13

Mine is F&B water based eggshell and is absolutley fine. I think as long as the prep work is done well, you'll be fine.

franktheskank Thu 08-Feb-18 11:09:06

Eggshell doesn't usually need anything covering it as it's quite tough and it's one of the less shiny wood paints so I would stay away from varnishing it. Sounds great though would love to see pics!

Bluefargo Sat 10-Feb-18 20:50:36

This is the before and after - we did replace counter top, cooker and put in a peninsula too. But not a bad result for not too much money...

DancingLedge Sat 10-Feb-18 20:53:12

Result!

franktheskank Sat 10-Feb-18 22:21:53

Looks great op good choice smile

mineallmine Sun 11-Feb-18 18:56:19

Transformed! Great job, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now