Talk

Advanced search

Gold or Chrome tap? Help me decide!

(13 Posts)
PossiblyPFB Tue 06-Feb-18 12:46:29

Hi, we are just about to have our kitchen done and the fitter is coming over this afternoon.

I am happy with cupboard choices - and the handles are brassy brushed gold and look fab against the dark cabinets. I am looking at taps and am really of 2 minds.

The plan was to have a feature gold colour tap for the new sink to tie in.

I have found some absolutely lovely feature taps at a reasonable if not slightly expensive price. However they are in chrome.

I can’t afford the same taps in gold or brass, and the similar ones I have found just pale in comparison to the quality of the ones in chrome.

The new range will be silver so there will be other silver in the kitchen.

So- what are your thoughts on mixing metals like this? Will it look bad if it’s not match matchy?

I’m really torn!!

PossiblyPFB Tue 06-Feb-18 12:48:29

Also, i fear gold going to go ‘out’ at some point ? Changing the handles is an easy job but this is more permanent..... I really don’t know! I do love the look of gold!!

ShowMeTheElf Tue 06-Feb-18 12:50:04

Brassy gold will come and go, chrome will be around for ever. Same for the cupboard handles: you'll date the kitchen more quickly if you go for the gold now.

PossiblyPFB Tue 06-Feb-18 12:58:12

This is the sort of chrome tap I am considering ....... pin.it/uu26cv3qlyyxv3

PossiblyPFB Tue 06-Feb-18 13:00:10

Or this.

Ketzele Tue 06-Feb-18 21:54:00

I too think the gold might look very dated in a year or too - see also copper. I would find other ways to satisfy your gold craving (which I do understand, I seem to have acquired a gold cafetiere, cheese grater and sieve since Christmas).

lilyclover Wed 07-Feb-18 04:04:34

I would go for chrome, as others said it won't date as much as gold. Can you have a gold focal point other than the sink? You'd be forever having to clean and keep it tidy as it would draw so much attention being gold.

How about using more gold with lighting? One big pendant light or a set of three above an island.

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/horsfallwright/product/sophronia-pendant-light (probably small for your kitchen but you get the idea)

franktheskank Thu 08-Feb-18 10:50:20

I've had this recently as I love the look of gold (and loved copper last year) but it will date. Go for chrome if you don't want to be changing it in a year or two smile

PossiblyPFB Mon 12-Feb-18 13:25:16

Thanks all for talking sense! I went for the chrome ! smile

Ketzele Mon 12-Feb-18 19:43:04

smile

RustyBear Mon 12-Feb-18 19:45:11

Bit late, but also you may find a lot of cleaning products aren’t suitable for gold taps - we’ve just changed the taps on our cloakroom basin for this reason, as something I used on them damaged them.

PossiblyPFB Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:24

Yes! I bought this one in the end. DH wanted the flipper handles rather than the cross ones. smile

lilyclover Tue 13-Feb-18 22:26:52

Very nice, it looks great, PossiblyPFB!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: