Talk

Advanced search

Wardrobe problem

(11 Posts)
Penny31 Sun 28-Jan-18 19:56:35

Hi

In our smallest bedroom we have a square box built in which is above the stairs below and can’t be removed. The room is small and ideally I would have a wardrobe on or built around the square. It’s about half a metre off the floor, 1m wide and 45cm deep.
I can’t find a free standing wardrobe shallow enough. I was thinking of stand it on the square and fixing it to the wall....

Wwyd?

OP’s posts: |
Knittedfairies Sun 28-Jan-18 20:53:23

I think I'd call in a local carpenter for advice; he/she may be able to build you exactly what you want.

Penny31 Sun 28-Jan-18 21:13:42

I thought that, was hoping not to pay £££s....

OP’s posts: |
OrraBoralis Wed 31-Jan-18 09:37:11

I think I know what you are talking about. Can you get a loft bed that goes over the bump? My sister did this and it meant the other wall in the room could have a wardrobe and under the bed was used as a desk area.

RooKangaroo Wed 31-Jan-18 09:48:06

Not sure I understand, sorry. Can't picture what this would look like?

Can you draw a diagram or share a photo?

rowenaj86 Wed 31-Jan-18 13:30:31

me too, I would call an handyman / carpenter to see what you can do with that space. I had it done for my bedroom, looks good and did not cost that much.

KatyMac Wed 31-Jan-18 13:32:32

Put a rail in & a curtain pole in front with a pretty curtain

BusterTheBulldog Wed 31-Jan-18 13:41:27

A Carpenter can definitely help you, in my experience it was £££ though! We didn’t go ahead.

SurfnTerfFantasticmissfoxy Wed 31-Jan-18 17:25:21

Can you post a picture of what's there at the moment?

blueskyinmarch Wed 31-Jan-18 17:28:00

My parents have this in their house. It was in my brothers room. They had a cupboard built on top of it and it works well. I don't think it would cost too much to get a joiner to do it and it would probably last well. I think the one in my parents house was done over 40 years ago and it is still good.

Dewysungoddess Sat 03-Feb-18 17:56:55

We had this in our old house, we built a bed on top of the "box" with other end onto a built in cupboard underneath filling the gap in from the box to the wall. We looked at Pinterest for ideas. We also considered putting a wardrobe across the box and into the space between but was quoted around £1500 for this with all the fittings (shelves, rails and drawers) and the bed was much easier and did this ourselves.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in