Talk

Advanced search

Extra wide roller blind kit!

(7 Posts)
ILoveMrDarcy Fri 05-Jan-18 21:53:39

I have been searching for an extra wide kit to make my own roller blind for the kitchen. The window in question is 2m wide. All kits seem to go up to 180cm. I'm hoping that the power of Mumsnet will work and that someone will know where to find one!

Thank you!

Mrs Darcy

GingerKitCat Mon 08-Jan-18 20:15:15

No help but I'm looking for a 2m wide venetian blind. Looks like I'm going to have order online...

Redrobinonspade Sat 13-Jan-18 09:37:31

Merrick and Day website have them up to width of 240cm, I discovered them the other day! Hope that helps.
I’m thinking of trying to make voile roller blinds rather than nets for our living room... never made roller blinds before though so not sure if it’s feasible?! I’m going to test using a fabric stiffener onto some voile fabric- see what it looks like, if it’s easy to hem at sides. If you have any tips, I’d be grateful for advice. Thanks.

Vitalogy Sat 13-Jan-18 17:50:13

I've had this issue a couple of times, ended up with two separate roller or Venetian blinds, which worked out for the best in the end, as the sun moves around you can have one open and one closed, then change over.

ILoveMrDarcy Sat 13-Jan-18 18:00:50

@Redrobinonspade You're amazing! Thank you. I've just ordered one.

ILoveMrDarcy Sat 13-Jan-18 18:02:23

@Redrobinonspade You shouldn't need to hem the sides. Once the voile is stiffened it can be cut at the sides. Make sure you go wider than you need though, the stiffening solution makes it shrink a bit.

Redrobinonspade Sat 13-Jan-18 19:39:04

That’s great! Good luck with the kitchen blind.
Thanks for the advice. I’m thinking that stiffening the fabric first then cutting it to size is the way to go. Hoping it’s straightforward as I will have 3 to make and the largest blind will be 240cm wide... got to make sure I know what I’m doing, and have the skills before I start!!😄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: