Talk

Advanced search

Choosing flipping carpet!!

(7 Posts)
SmellTheGlove Tue 05-Dec-17 12:51:26

I have enough grey carpet samples to create my own patchwork carpet. Im going demented. Please offer me some suggestions. I have ruled out man made as I'm not keen on the slight shininess, and it needs to suit the whole house Inc 2 flights of stairs so needs to be hard wearing. So I would prefer an 80/20. I currently have a cream loop 100% wool which after only 2 years is really marked. We are just finishing a loft conversion and have also taken out a wall on the first floor so carpets are basically ruined anyway. I can't find a light/mid grey that isn't really bluey purply. Please help me!

JoJoSM2 Thu 07-Dec-17 06:25:43

Have you thought of some other stuff to go on the floor? If the previous carpet got really marked after just two years, then it doesn’t sound like a good floor covering choice in your house.

SmellTheGlove Thu 07-Dec-17 08:05:27

I know! But we don't wear shoes upstairs where the carpet is and DS past messy stage. We have wood downstairs. The stains are where things spilt, and 100% wool loop is a nightmare to clean because the stain gets right into the loop. I don't think I'd want wood in the bedrooms although I love the look of it, not very cosy?

JoJoSM2 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:54:38

Synthetic carpets are easier to clean. There are some in the loop design too if you like it.

Misslemon01 Fri 08-Dec-17 08:29:35

We went for 100% wool boucle moth-proof carpet in the end, called Avebury. We were told it’s hard wearing and more than 6 months later I’d definitely agree so far.

The key to carpet not wearing down is to splurge a bit on the underlay. Carpet only starts wearing out after then underlay goes, so don’t be tempted to go for the cheapest underlay, especially not on the stairs.

If you live in London, moth-proof is quite important...

Good luck! smile

LightastheBreeze Sat 09-Dec-17 15:17:05

We got an 80/20 from John Lewis in their Special Buys, they had quite a good choice and will be available in the post Christmas and July sales .

SmellTheGlove Sun 10-Dec-17 12:15:07

Thank you all, most helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: