Talk

Advanced search

Help me love my curtains...

(24 Posts)
whyismykid Mon 04-Dec-17 22:17:59

We moved into our new house a couple of months ago and rather annoyingly really kindly, the previous owner unexpectedly left all her mostly made to measure thermal curtains. Which would be great except I don't like them and it's now really hard to justify buying new! So just taking a room at a time, how can I make a 'family room' (basically playroom with a couple of sofas and TV) work with 250 x 300 brushed satin type Terracotta curtains? What colours go with Terracotta? The room needs a rug as the cream carpet isn't spotless, and there is a pale blue sofa (which could be covered or accessorised I guess) and a white sofa, but there is also a grey love seat in another room that could work.

It's just not a colour / tone that I have veered used before and I don't know what to do with it. Any ideas?

Littlelambpeep Mon 04-Dec-17 22:22:33

Can you dye them op? If not, I'm not sure. Terracotta is a tricky colour - not sure about making it 'current' unless with grey

Will have a think

youngestisapsycho Mon 04-Dec-17 22:25:42

I’d buy new. I couldn’t live with curtains I didn’t like. If she hadn’t of left them you’d have to buy new ones....

whyismykid Mon 04-Dec-17 22:27:16

Thanks for having a think!
Not sure if they could be dyed... that's worth looking at, good thought!

whyismykid Mon 04-Dec-17 22:29:12

Youngest - that's pretty much my conclusion, but good to be able to show this to DH to justify the expense!

SparePantsAndLego Mon 04-Dec-17 22:29:44

How about this? For now at least...

katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 22:31:32

Could you use them to line new curtains?

Lilmisskittykat Mon 04-Dec-17 22:33:44

You could try these colour schemes?

Lilmisskittykat Mon 04-Dec-17 22:35:28

Think the teal suggested above works nice and the first colour palette I posted is quite modern /grown up if your not one fit a bold colour.

Else just think if they weren't there you'd have had to buy some anyway

whyismykid Mon 04-Dec-17 22:43:48

Hmm... I'm not sure about the teal / turquoise combinations, (though I do like Teal and Turquoise!) - I think maybe I just don't like terracotta - maybe I can justify starting from scratch!

keepingbees Mon 04-Dec-17 22:56:27

I tried dying some curtains using Dylon and it didn't take. Brushed satin might not be suitable to dye either. I would sell them if they're good quality and use the money to put towards new ones

llangennith Mon 04-Dec-17 23:00:10

Buy ready made thermal blackout linings to use as curtains. When you can afford new curtains just attached the linings to them.

bunbunny Mon 04-Dec-17 23:06:33

Another vote for selling them... Although I might dye the smallest pair - very badly - first to show dh that it's really not an option if he might think that it's great to save on the expense and isn't bothered by the old ones grin

If you do find fabric you like it's worth looking on eBay - I've had lovely curtain fabric from there that should have cost £60+ a metre for £15/m - much easier to justify at those prices! (As well as having ones that were much cheaper RRP but even so they were still much cheaper).

RestingGrinchFace Mon 04-Dec-17 23:10:05

Brushed satin is a sin in its own right. What kind of sicko does it in terracotta is just beyond me. Let's face it, it's not like they are going to get any worse. Why not just spray paint over them?

NoSquirrels Mon 04-Dec-17 23:10:49

I'm afraid the "brushed satin" is probably the bit I couldn't live with. Terracotta I could probably work with, but brushed satin sounds like a horrid texture, and the combination would put me off...

katymac Mon 04-Dec-17 23:10:59

Are the linings cream? if so you can turn them and have lovely cream curtains with a small rust border?

GardenGeek Mon 04-Dec-17 23:15:50

Maybe Farrow and Ball Stone Blue?

whyismykid Tue 05-Dec-17 07:06:30

You guys are awesome, i especially like the 'going crazy with the dye on the smallest curtain to illustrate my point' idea! The window is too big more ready mares other wise the blackout lining idea would have been good.

RestingGrinch - visualise the fabric you wore as a bridesmaid in the 1980's to a wedding where everyone had a perm, then make it terracotta!

Ketzele Tue 05-Dec-17 21:43:21

I think I could only live with them paired with a warmish grey - F&B Purbeck Stone?

NotAgainYoda Thu 07-Dec-17 06:21:18

I would go Graphite (very dark grey/verging on black). But that's a big commitment (have used it in my living room and love it). So rather than compromising I'd be inclined to get rid of them

I do understand, as if pushed I'd say terracotta is my least favourite colour

JoJoSM2 Thu 07-Dec-17 06:23:07

I think the colour schemes posted above are very successful. However, you clearly aren’t feeling them so replacement curtains sound like a good option. It’s worth measuring up. You might find that the expense won’t be that bad if you can get a pair of ready made curtains.

NotAgainYoda Thu 07-Dec-17 06:24:01

i.pinimg.com/736x/c3/cb/53/c3cb533cec01e5d2761f994315e09fcc--fabric-wallpaper-interior-ideas.jpg

rizlett Thu 07-Dec-17 06:30:15

Something like this?

undertheradarplease Fri 08-Dec-17 10:01:23

We need to see a photo, op!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: