Talk

Advanced search

Dead Salmon

(26 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Wed 29-Nov-17 20:33:03

If you've used this F&B colour, how has it worked out for you?

We're thinking of painting our bedroom in our new house (south facing, 2 bay windows) this colour.

We will obviously get a tester pot but I'm just wondering, if you've painted your room this colour, did you tire of it quickly? Or have you loved it? I feel like it's quite a bold statement but then some colours look so much lighter on the wall than they do on the chart.

JoJoSM2 Wed 29-Nov-17 21:46:36

I once went into a house with Dead Salmon and it looked as nice as it sounds...

However, even if you go off the colour after a while, it’s quite easy to change it. We’re just about to have our bedroom walls changed after 2 years of them being turquoise.

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 11:20:36

Oh. Not very encouraging!

BeverlyGoldberg Thu 30-Nov-17 11:26:38

I think Dead Salmon is what we have in our loft room (inherited from previous owners). I swing between loving it and hating it, I think my opinion changes by how it appears in certain lights. It’s too dark for our room and I’d prefer a colder colour to brighten the place up.

In a room with plenty of light it’ll probably be lovely.

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 11:31:32

We have it in our utility room... but it's a v shallow room with one long wall almost entirely windows- looks fab, but there's loads of natural light.

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 11:36:06

I guess I'll just have to get a tester pot and see. Is it quite pale in the light or more of a mid tone? The other colour I'm considering is Dimpse.

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 11:36:36

The room is currently yellowy-cream with a deep burgundy feature wall...

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 14:07:52

It's not a light colour, no, definitely mid tone, but it's warm and welcoming ( when I'm emptying the washing machine at midnighthmm)
The floor is v pale though, and ceiling is white. I don't know whether it would feel much darker in a larger room, on all four walls, probably.

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 14:10:15

South facing room with two bays sounds as though it would get tons of light! What colour(s) is/are your bed linen already?

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 16:04:15

Our bed linen is white, we have one pale grey set for winter but usually we buy all white. I'm thinking perhaps a paler neutral may be a better choice. The yellow and burgandy is a strong look that needs to go pretty promptly!

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 17:41:00

Mmmmm... well it's probably not to everyone's taste! grin

user1471437486 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:00:51

Hi we have it in a spare bedroom and love it. It’s very close to the color of wet plaster on its way to drying to that pink plaster color. Very warm and definitely mid tone. We used the color to match a 1940’s tiled fireplace which is challenging to work around! Our room is 12 by 11 so a standard size.

Would say it would need to be in a huge room with sky lights and lots of windows to appear paler. The furniture is cream and the ceiling color is painted down to the picture rail so the color isn’t overwhelming.

MissWilmottsGhost Thu 30-Nov-17 19:04:42

I thought this was going to be an autocorrect moment.

Seriously? It's called Dead Salmon? confused

Is it greenish?

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 19:34:47

MissWilmotts grin I introduce to you salmon ink{http://www.farrow-ball.com/dead%20salmon/paint-colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100028\www.farrow-ball.com/dead%20salmon/paint-colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/10002]]8}

Thanks for the input, I’m starting to think that this isn’t the right colour for the room. Back to the colour chart...

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 30-Nov-17 19:36:18

Weird link fail

www.farrow-ball.com/dead%20salmon/paint-colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100028

I love the idea of an off green “mouldy salmon”. That’s given me a chuckle!

BeverlyGoldberg Fri 01-Dec-17 05:04:03

Why on Earth is it called Dead Salmon?

I have visions of a work experience person interrupting a meeting going “ooh it’s dead salmony”.

nooka Fri 01-Dec-17 05:17:57

My dog likes to roll in dead salmon. The result is a disgusting green dog and the most filthy stink. Not something I want anywhere near my home and a very odd choice of name! The colour looks more like poached salmon to me, a bit dingy looking on google images but you really have to try it on your walls to get an idea as it depends so much on the light.

Bluesheep8 Fri 01-Dec-17 08:03:00

Hi, if dead salmon's too dark, how about 'setting plaster' or calamine?

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 01-Dec-17 13:45:03

I wondered about setting plaster. Calamine is the colour we’re painting our daughter’s room and I think it’s a bit blue for what I’m trying to achieve.

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 01-Dec-17 13:53:40

I wondered about setting plaster. Calamine is the colour we’re painting our daughter’s room and I think it’s a bit blue for what I’m trying to achieve.

GrumpySausage Fri 01-Dec-17 13:55:56

Oh I've just realised my living room is dead salmon. Although the b&q budget version - corpse goldfish.

In seriousness though, my living room is a very similar colour and it works well in the evenings, quite cosy but in some early morning lights it's a bit...well dead salmon. I wouldn't use it again.

Ketzele Fri 01-Dec-17 20:18:34

I've just painted a bedroom door setting plaster - the walls are Blackened. I saw this combination on the F&B website and it looked fab and very mid-century. Didn't work quite so well in practice! Setting plaster is a beautiful colour in daylight, but goes kind of terracotta by artificial light. I imagine Dead Salmon would be the same.

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 01-Dec-17 20:55:21

Ketzele, that’s interesting. I hadn’t considered the effect of artificial light. I def don’t want terracotta. Interesting that they mention it’s a beautiful colour by candle light on the website. Dimity is looking like
a strong contender now.

Corpse Goldfish 😂

MarkleAndSpencer Sun 03-Dec-17 07:02:25

I used LG Julie's Dream (or Julia's - can't remember which) and it's a really nice plaster colour but definitely not terracotta. Been very happy with it.

SylvesterTheCat Mon 11-Dec-17 10:56:19

I've painted my lounge (of an old cottage) in Smoked Trout and I love it. It's a little lighter than Dead Salmon. I love it with cosy lighting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now