Talk

Advanced search

Dark paint feature walls?

(3 Posts)
Kokapetl Thu 16-Nov-17 22:42:14

Please help me to decide the paint colours for our kitchen and living room!

Kitchen is going to be pale blue cabinet doors with oak coloured work tops and flooring. I was thinking white tiles and a slightly grey neutral like dulux white cotton. However, in the brochure, the picture for the kitchen we have ordered has a dark blue feature wall. We have an odd wall between the kitchen and dining areas which also has a narrow chimney that has been converted to a cupboard. Would it be too extreme to paint this a dark blue?

There's a similar issue with the living room. I was thinking of going for jasmine or orchid white but think it might be a bit boring so was thinking of painting the chimney breast (black wood burner and hearth, no surround atm) a dark red. We have off- white sofas, dark wood furniture and a dark beige carpet.

Is this kind of feature wall really old fashioned? We've lived in rented boring- magnolia houses for so long that I'd quite like some colour now we've got our own place! But the colours I like seem too much for a whole room.

OP’s posts: |
ILoveDolly Thu 16-Nov-17 22:44:40

All red might be cosy especially if you have light accessories

JoJoSM2 Fri 17-Nov-17 17:19:59

Feature stuff needs to be a feature by definition. If you paint sth random a strong colour that draws attention, it might not look very good.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in