Talk

Advanced search

Will plantation shutters date?

(12 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 07-Nov-17 18:41:38

Like Venetian blinds did in the 70s?

Loads have them in my city. I do like them but like the warmth of curtains so wouldn’t get them . Plus they look a nightmare to clean. But I wondered whether all these people who have forked out a grand or two to have their house done will be regretting it In a few years time.

Mosaic123 Wed 08-Nov-17 04:42:05

Yes. Everything dates. Sorry.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 08-Nov-17 12:41:52

I think they look ridiculous except possibly in the lands where there are actual plantations.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 08-Nov-17 12:47:30

I don’t think they do. They’ve been around a 100 years or more. There are original Georgian shutters in the house next door to me, they’ve not dated imo.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 08-Nov-17 12:49:26

Georgian shutters make sense in a Georgian house.

LittleWitch Wed 08-Nov-17 12:52:39

I've got them. I love them, I don't care if they date, they look fab and make a massive difference to the warmth in the room - far better than curtains IMO. They're not difficult to clean as the slats are broad. I dust them with the feather duster supplied for the purpose by the company that installed them, and occasionally wipe with a damp cloth. I certainly clean them more often than I cleaned the curtains wink.

Davros Thu 09-Nov-17 17:56:28

I’ve had mine for 25 years. We’ve got some awkward set-in windows so they work well there. We’ve also got curtains on some windows

ArbitraryName Thu 09-Nov-17 18:00:32

There is absolutely no way to decorate your house that will not date. So just go with what you like.

Ttbb Thu 09-Nov-17 18:05:00

Shutters have been around for hundreds of years. I don't think that they are going to date. I don't love them myself but you really can't compare them to vertical blinds.

northlondonlassie Thu 09-Nov-17 18:08:04

Of course they will!
20 years ago, net curtains were the norm in most homes - and yet now a house with nets is very likely to belong to an older person and most houses (here in my patch at least) now have plantation shutters instead. They are the new net curtains.
I can’t abide either. I think they make a house look like its asleep.

mimibunz Thu 09-Nov-17 18:30:51

We have plantation shutters and love them. They make the front of our house look very smart and they are practical as well. I don't see them dating either.

Davros Thu 09-Nov-17 21:26:37

I think you should try to avoid too many hard surfaces but I like plantation shutters in the right place. We even have them in our bedroom but with curtains as well for cosiness

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: