Talk

Advanced search

What do I do with this one wall?!

(15 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 09:50:35

Ok so opinions would be grand as I've been unsure for far too long.
Rectangular living room, three walls done in Laura Ashley Isodore in cranberry here and dark furniture/deep chestnut sofas.
The fourth wall which houses the tv and a large dresser is one of the long walls. It is currently magnolia and just looks unfinished. I am toying with the idea of painting it pale cranberry here but worry it'll all look a bit heavy, esp with the dark wood. I'm not exactly bold about room decoration and red is a colour I usually shy away from. Plus, I'd be investing in new curtains which would tie in with just a touch of red, but if its all a bit much i dobt want to waste money and change it all!
Could I have suggestions for the wall? Pale cranberry or something else entirely? Or start from scratch with something else and change my wallpaper.
What you can't see on the wallpaper is that it is pearlescent and quite a pretty pale cranberry. So not a true red really, a bit paler. The website makes it look so flat and miserable.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I'd I've to do something and have it finished before Christmas! We've sat and wondered for too long!

franktheskank Tue 07-Nov-17 10:33:40

Pics would help really it’s difficult to imaginesmile

keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 13:39:47

Sorry not at home. I suppose the question is would that paint look too much or dated if all other three walls are in that wallpaper? And with dark furniture?
Or are there any other suggestions I haven't even thought of?

franktheskank Tue 07-Nov-17 13:49:36

I think the paint would compliment the wallpaper and dark wood smile

NewtsSuitcase Tue 07-Nov-17 13:52:19

Papering the lot is more fashionable.

But otherwise yes I'd colour match the paint to the red in the wallpaper.

keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 14:29:54

I think I'm scared of red! Other wall already papered so it's go for it or do something else entirely. Just undecided whether to give it a go at the risk of thinking it's all too dark and heavy and changing the lot anyway!
What is current these days anyway? I know there's lots of blue which I like but the fashion will pass and I like to stick with something for a few years. I don't fancy grey, it's getting a bit tired now and I prefer some personality.

NewtsSuitcase Tue 07-Nov-17 14:31:45

You could still paper the remaining wall though. The way the light hits the wall will disguise the fact that its from a different batch.

40andFat Tue 07-Nov-17 14:47:18

I would say no unless your room is huge it won’t take it without making it look smaller better off keeping things neutral but adding in strong accents of cranberry so blinds curtains cushions maybe a checked chair or lampshade and if you can lighten up the furniture. See pics for what’s current in cranberry

keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 16:17:02

Hmm, could do with some kind of room decorating app to visualise it.

keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 16:17:51

So is it out of style to just paint one wall?

keeponkeepinon Tue 07-Nov-17 16:18:23

Ps the room isn't s huge, about 5m x 3m or so.

NewtsSuitcase Tue 07-Nov-17 16:27:50

I dont think its out of style to paint just one wall, in the same way as it isn't out of style to have one wall wallpapered. In the right setting both can look great. The current trend however seems to be for all walls to be wallpapered.

In my house I have a mixture, some rooms are entirely painted, in the kitchen I have one wall and the insides of the cupboards wallpapered, hallway is entirely papered, dining room I have wood panelling with wallpaper on the top part.

Lordasriel Tue 07-Nov-17 16:33:10

I think it will look really good. It’s one wall. One pot of paint. If you don’t like it, paint over it in something else! Go on, be bold!

40andFat Tue 07-Nov-17 18:07:52

It’s not out of style to paint one wall but it’s well known that dark colours on one wall will make a big space look smaller and cosy and a small space dark and dingy. Post a pic of the room only way to get an honest opinion.

GingerKitCat Tue 07-Nov-17 20:32:57

Dulux visualizer app lets you photograph and superimpose paint colours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now