Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with living room colour

(9 Posts)
Holidaycheer Sun 05-Nov-17 20:14:50

Can anyone help me find the right colour of dulux to go with this wallpaper? I want a brown or a beige but I'm not sure if I should go for a darker chocolate brown, lighter shade of brown, taupe or beige/off white? I'm terrible with colours and decorating and really want a nice rustic and cosy living room.
The wallpaper will by on my chimney breast with all the other walls painted. I'm looking at the dulux mix lab range at the minute as I want something that's washable. I have a brown sofa, oak furniture and a gold mirror if that helps.

Optimist1 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:43:51

Great trees, Holiday!

None of the colours you suggest for your remaining walls appear to feature in the wallpaper, though. Sorry, I'm no interior designer but I think there should be an echo of a colour or shade from the wallpaper in the plain walls. The trees are composed of cold colours, whereas you're aiming to pair them with colours that are essentially warm. (I see where you're coming from given the colours of your furniture, though). I'd opt for a very pale grey or white paint for the plain walls which should marry well with the wallpaper and still look good with the browns/golds of the furniture.

Holidaycheer Sun 05-Nov-17 20:54:23

Thank you Optimist, like I said I'm terrible with colours!
Ok I will have to rethink the wallpaper as I am not a fan of grey and I don't want white as I had to have white for so long before we moved so want a bit of colour now I can. I was hoping the wallpaper would pop out. It's a shame as it looks nice and have a shimmery cream sheen to it. I haven't found any other wallpaper I like yet.
What colour would you suggest for a wallpaper to match brown?

Optimist1 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:33:02

I'm nervous that you're taking notice of what I might have to suggest, now!! Just having a look to see if there's something that might fit the bill ...

ShinyStella Sun 05-Nov-17 21:38:07

Duck egg blue goes nicely with brown/cream/oak and would create a warm cozy feel

Could look at duck egg paint and a matching wallpaper

Optimist1 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:44:12

I came across a page on Amazon (for some reason I can't post links today, but if you put Fine Decor Cream Birch Trees Forest Themed Feature Wallpaper in their search bar you should get there) which appears to be the same as yours. They describe it as having a cream background, in which case beige/cream for the plain walls should work very nicely IMO. The second picture shows how well it goes with brown furniture!

FlameCrestedTanager Mon 06-Nov-17 12:12:20

Is it a big print? You might be able to get the background colour scanned by Valspar (at B&Q) then they can mix up what should, in theory, be an exact match. Definitely get a tester first to check!

Holidaycheer Mon 06-Nov-17 18:11:30

Thank you all.

I did think about duck egg but I have blue in other rooms so wanted to have something different.

The wallpaper is a lovely shimmery cream as I got a sample at homebase, I ideally wanted a different colour to the cream so it really stood out as a feature wall. I think I will have to rethink the wallpaper as I would like to stick with a brown/taupe colour for the walls. I just want something that is nice and cosy but not really light as the kids always find a way to touch the walls and make them mucky lol. Im also quite fussy and I'm not keen on the floral or damask type wallpapers so haven't found the right thing yet. We have not long moved in and I was hoping to get the painting done ready for Christmas so it looks nicer as we have no flooring and no furniture (apart from sofas) until the new year.

Optimist1 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:14:29

You're probably right not to rush into things, Holiday - getting some sample pots of paint and living with the different colours on your walls is a bit of a faff but really helps with decision making! Wishing you well in getting your new home comfy and stylish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now