Talk

Advanced search

What accent colour for a grey/white living room?

(20 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Tue 31-Oct-17 20:02:02

We are giving our living room a mini revamp next year (moved earlier this year). Our furniture is mostly dark (from Ikea), our settee is grey and the carpet is grey. We can't afford to replace it all but will get new curtains etc. Walls will be white.

What accent colour can I add for curtains/pictures/accessories to brighten the room up in a grey/white room with dark furniture?

bakingaddict Tue 31-Oct-17 20:06:17

I'd go for bronze or copper type colours, burnt gold, rust. You need colours with lots of warmth to counter balance the cool colours of grey and white.

NapQueen Tue 31-Oct-17 20:07:25

We have mustard.

Light grey on three walls, dark grey on the wall behind the dark grey sofa. Mustard lampshades and cushions.

Fragglewump Tue 31-Oct-17 20:08:11

Yellow

lostpurplehoodie Tue 31-Oct-17 20:10:40

We’ve gone for orange, but the yellow side of orange inspired by Veuve Cliquot rather than a darker orange, but I’m sure that’ll work well too.

thepatchworkcat Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:22

We’ve got similar: white walls, grey furniture and have gone for orange as an extra colour on a couple of cushions etc.

HeyMicky Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:30

We have shades of teal/duck egg and pink, with a few rose gold bits that can be easily swapped out when we inevitably tire of them. Black and white prints on the walls, plus two paintings that pick up on the other colours

mumma24 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:37:57

I have mustard but other colours like orange or pink work well too

RedLemonade Tue 31-Oct-17 21:41:13

I have copper. Lovely with the grey and white. Different textures can help too- I have a sheepskin rug, some slate coasters and different knitted/woven cushions for sofa.

RaindropsAndSparkles Tue 31-Oct-17 21:45:39

I did silver grey and sage in my last house. A little pale orange/deep yellow with soft green in bedrooms and bogs.

Am surprised you are stretching to curtains on a tight budget. They are always the most expensive in my experience. But then again they make or break a home.

Brighteyes27 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:46:21

I was going to say a warm rich purple colour or a teal shade. But I am no expert.

crazypenguinlady Tue 31-Oct-17 21:54:17

Some lovely ideas here! Thanks so much for the inspiration, will look into them more smile

LordSugarWillSeeYouNow Tue 31-Oct-17 21:56:18

Mustard here too but it's a bugger to find! Slight hijack op but those with mustard decor/accessories, where did you buy it from? Mine started off with an Orla Kiely cushion smile

Puppymouse Tue 31-Oct-17 22:54:05

We’ve just redecorated our living room. Pale grey walls, white chimney breast and grey sofas. We have gone with lightish pink thick tweed-esque material curtains and have our eye on a bright multicolour print for over the fireplace.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 01-Nov-17 19:01:42

Navy and mustard/ochre here with a few copper touches (but a burnished sort of copper rather than v shiny).

4yearsnosleep Thu 02-Nov-17 20:00:02

We have grey & mustard upstairs. This is the rug in my living room and I’ve picked most of the colours out of it!

Sunisshining12 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:04:44

I'd say Metallics and deep plum smile

dontcallmelen Fri 03-Nov-17 20:28:54

@lord dunelm & sainsburys had loads of mustard accessories a little while ago.

SaintEyning Fri 03-Nov-17 20:51:19

I have mustard and navy. My footstool is mustard but my sofas are grey (same style - G Plan). Curtains are an Art Deco print in grey and mustard. Lots of art on the walls, not bothered about that matching!

Joinourclub Fri 03-Nov-17 22:14:43

I think you want primary and secondary accents. Pink and gold or teal and silver or mustard and navy etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now