Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen ceiling spotlights - yes or no?

(6 Posts)
GingerKitCat Tue 31-Oct-17 12:11:28

A relative is redoing their kitchen and I've been asked for input re. lighting smile

The previous owner installed recessed ceiling spotlights in my kitchen and I quite like them. I have eight in the ceiling and three under the worktop (separate switches, ceiling ones have a dimmer switch).

Are they considered naff? Are there better solutions? One of mine has blown and I haven't figured out how to change it yet grin

Relative currently has those silver bar spotlight things which look okay (a bit dated?) and do the job but they fancy a change. They also have under-cupboard worktop lighting (very useful) which they will change for spotlights like mine. Oh and an extractor hood light.

Their kitchen is long and narrow with units on one side only and a slim breakfast bar on the other side with folding bar stools. Large window above the breakfast bar and another at the bottom of the kitchen above the sink so not too gloomy during the day.

No islands or fancy dining arrangements to consider. They don't spend any time in there in the evening after cooking and cleaning up so under cabinet floor lighting etc. would be excessive.

GingerKitCat Wed 01-Nov-17 17:33:49

Hopeful bump!

dudsville Wed 01-Nov-17 17:35:06

Personally I don't like them. My builder is still keen though! In he kitchen I have a great ceiling light and then under counter lighting.

SmallVera Wed 01-Nov-17 17:36:23

I like mine - I'd recommend to get them on a dimmer switch

GingerKitCat Wed 01-Nov-17 17:44:01

Thanks both!

Dudsville what kind of ceiling light do you have?

Smallvera agreed, my ceiling ones are on a dimmer and it's very handy!

dudsville Fri 03-Nov-17 18:25:42

I have a mid century looking chrome thing. Not to everyone's taste!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now