Talk

Advanced search

Are Carpets Really That Bad

(18 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Mon 30-Oct-17 07:44:23

I haven’t had carpets for a long time. Partly because of dust mites but mainly because I thought hard floors easy to keep clean with child/dog.

I have polished boards in my living room but they are a bit draughty. Also because of other work we’ve done I need to replace some boards, which seems like a hassle.

I’m thinking carpets would be nice and cosy, and don’t actually remember them being that much of a problem to keep clean. We have a dog but child away at university.

Should I consider carpet?

SundayLunchHappy Mon 30-Oct-17 08:07:22

I would personally love carpet in my sitting room! We have oak floors throughout the ground floor and it's cold and a constant battle.

I'm a generally very clean and tidy house sort of person, however because you can see every speck sitting on top of a wooden/hard floor, I can never feel like the house is really clean for more than half an hour after mopping!

If dh eventually relents, it's carpets all the way for me! (Though not in the kitchen obviously)

ThePhoenixBird Mon 30-Oct-17 08:13:38

We have laminate flooring throughout apart from the stairs and landing

We chose laminate as we have cats and thought laminate would be easier.

It is in some respects, but it’s actually quite hard to keep clean as we have high shine flooring so every single speck of dust or marks shows up really obviously. It’s also cold in the winter.

If we change, I will probably get carpet in more rooms

LoniceraJaponica Mon 30-Oct-17 08:16:15

In my experience only people on mumsnet hate carpets. Nearly everyone I know has carpets in their houses.

BadCarrot Mon 30-Oct-17 08:20:04

Carpets all the way - except loos, bathrooms and kitchens. Inherited laminate in our bedroom when we moved in; I hate it and will replace when we next decorate. We had cats for years with carpets with no problems - other than slight tufting where they had scratched because they were on the wrong side! Get a great hoover and it’ll be fine smile

strugglingtodomybest Mon 30-Oct-17 08:20:35

I find my carpets easier to clean than my hardwood floors. Or maybe it's just that it doesn't show up so much? Either way, I hoover about once a week but sweep the floor at least twice a day.

Also, everyone I know has carpet somewhere in their house. I had no idea that carpets were considered bad! Bizarre.

ems137 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:27:30

I’ve just had laminate laid through most of my house because having carpets was stressing me out. I do prefer the warmth and homely feel of carpet but with 4 scruffy young children (and a scruffier DH) I just want something I can wipe clean for the next few years.

I think in your situation, unless the cats sick or poo on the floor, I’d go for carpets

RaininSummer Mon 30-Oct-17 08:30:05

My carpeted rooms always look cleaner than my wooden floor rooms. Cosier and quieter too.

Note3 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:31:58

Currently we're rennovating and don't have money spare for carpets so have bare floorboards upstairs but generally we have carpets throughout upstairs (lino in bathroom), carpet on stairs and in lounge, laminate in kitchen diner and hallway

Note3 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:32:48

We also have two cats and used to have a dog with this set up. Worked fine for keeping clean

Sunisshining12 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:10:52

Sorry but I hate carpet

Looks (& smells) fab when it's first fitted

6 months later It's dirty & never lasts. Unless you buy the really good stuff £££

Most people have I guess for warmth & comfort, but I find real wood & a rug warm & comforting smile

LoniceraJaponica Tue 31-Oct-17 21:02:48

Sunis I don't have small children or pets, and we don't wear shoes in the house, so our carpets don't get very dirty. I also have them cleaned regularly.

Sunisshining12 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:23:00

If you have no kids & no pets then obviously that is a different scenario. Pets are the main reason I don't like carpet, especially downstairs, as my dog sheds so much it was a constant battle trying to get the hairs out that had interwined. There used to be a shadow where he had lay of his fur!! And very small children weaning food/drinks etc it was just trashed.

Although my house would have to be husband free for anything to stay clean!!

Perhaps carpet upstairs & hard floor downstairs would be a happy medium?

sinceyouask Tue 31-Oct-17 21:53:13

We rent. The stairs and landing are the only carpeted floors. Tbh with three dc and two cats I prefer not to have carpets, but if they were not around I'd want carpet everywhere except the bathroom and kitchen. (Lived in a house with a carpeted bathroom once. Awful.)

Ta1kinPeece Tue 31-Oct-17 21:56:35

Boots on house here.

Stairs and upstairs are thickly carpeted.
Bathrooms are bamboo floor.
Living rooms have tough short pile carpet.
Hall, kitchen, dining and utility have bamboo.

Best of all worlds.

Bluntness100 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:06:05

Downstairs we are all exposed floor boards but I have a large rug covering about 80 percent of it in the living room, as it’s drafty and cold and hard on your feet.

Upstairs is all carpeted, and there is no doubt it’s warmer and softer under foot.

I also bought a carpet cleaner for about two hundred quid, and when our dog was with us gave it a going over every couple of weeks. Didn’t take long, but dealt with the hair. The rug and upstairs carpeting are cream so it just Kept it clean and smelling nice. If I didn’t live in an old listed building, I’d carpet everywhere, but thr floor boards are a bit of a feature and I feel guilty covering them up.

ElasticFirecracker Wed 01-Nov-17 09:41:24

Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful. I had looked at costs to put down hardwood flooring on top of the boards, but the cost seemed so much higher than carpet, but I get the point that cheap carpet does not last well.

Thank you very much.

Polkadot1974 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:21:56

My old cats have just started pooing and puking- never on the laminate- always on the carpet. My new-ish carpet. I so wish we had wooden flooring but it's concrete underneath. Foul

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now