Talk

Advanced search

What gorgeous things have turned you house into a home?

(25 Posts)
Scatternobrains Thu 26-Oct-17 20:22:41

I need some inspiration for finishing touches in all of our rooms to make it really beautiful and homely. What have been your best buys that add that special touch? Links and photos as well if you can.

ToddlersAndCoffee Thu 26-Oct-17 20:46:46

Following this as I'm always looking for home decor ideas! For me it's lots of wood, cozy things in living room like lots of cusions, fluffy rugs, lots of throws and a fire place. Personal photos in nice frames, nice side lights that give of a cosy glow.

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 20:47:31

This!!

ToddlersAndCoffee Thu 26-Oct-17 20:59:44

Oh yes! My cats!

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:05:34

Beautiful wallpaper in our bedroom, my g-plan fresco desk in the hall, and painting my bathroom Tank Green are among my favourite things in my home. I used a beautiful retro mirror that was on a dressing table owned by my grandmother above our fireplace as well and it made our whole room come together. For me it's about finding things I really love, and you just know it's perfect for the room and I love it! Excuse the blurry picture!

Checkedstripes Thu 26-Oct-17 21:30:48

Plants, oddly. They've made our place finally look a bit more homely!

LittleWingSoul Sat 28-Oct-17 13:23:27

I second plants. The bigger the better! I got an ubiquitous fiddle leaf fig tree in lidl last weekend for £10.99! It's at least 5ft and very healthy looking. Bought a cheap woven basket wastepaper bin in wilkos for £3.99 and popped a round plastic plant tray in the basket before putting the plant in there.

TisapityshesaGeordie Sat 28-Oct-17 13:26:50

Paintings, candles and nice lighting for us. I have a beautiful vintage Italian lamp I picked up in an antique shop years ago that is a particular favourite.

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 28-Oct-17 13:39:44

Pictures (not loads just a few to personalise the living room) prints on the walls. The biggest one for me is smells! Used to be from candles but I’m banned after a soot incident so now rely on wax warmers.

Whinesalot Sat 28-Oct-17 13:46:00

Huge luxury mirrors. Much cheaper from online places like mirroroutlet.

Bluesheep8 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:24:01

Candles, including good faux ones with moving flames and faux fur throws and blankets. Plus a cat!

thelikelylass Sun 29-Oct-17 11:01:28

A lovely rise and fall copper pendant over a new round walnut dining table. I have one of those antique bulbs in it and it makes the dining room just perfect. Lighting makes everything look better.

RaindropsAndSparkles Sun 29-Oct-17 11:05:20

The people in it for whom it is home. The photos that chart our growth as a family from the beautiful wedding photos to the chubbier silver wedding family picture with grown up DC. You can't recreate the history that makes a home even if it's about objects transferred from one home to another.

Stillamum3 Sun 29-Oct-17 12:17:37

Please help me find some painted bedroom furniture that is well made and not too£££!
I only have space for a couple of bedside tables, a tallboy and a 6ft (superking) bedhead and/or bed. Travelled a long way at the weekend to see some of a well-known make and was so disappointed – the drawers had a large gap all around them and did not run on runners. That would drive me mad if I had them in my house.
Colour – cream, ivory, white or possibly pale grey.
Stylewise – simple, without too many folderols! Would have to have legs too, rather than a plinth as the floors in this old house slope!

Stillamum3 Sun 29-Oct-17 12:18:31

Sorry - wanted to start a new thread! not good with this!

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 29-Oct-17 12:26:54

Stillamum, try Taurus Beds - they make wooden furniture including in white or bespoke painted finishes. We have their stuff and just bought ourselves a new bed after relegating the ten year old double to the spare room (the frame looks as good as the day we bought it). Love their stuff!

As for the OP: I find light and accessories help - books in our house, photos and mementoes from holidays.

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 29-Oct-17 12:27:31

Oh, and nice cushions for the living room!

And hanging pictures. Our new house felt a lot more like home once we'd done that!

Stillamum3 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:01:50

Thank you Beware I've not come across them before - will have a look!

Whinesalot Sun 29-Oct-17 18:10:21

And one or two carefully chosen, obviously expensive items mixed in with cheaper generic stuff, make the cheaper stuff blend in more. I also agree that lighting is important.

clippityclop Sun 05-Nov-17 21:13:03

Swap foam cushion pads for cosy feather cushions, throws, a good rug, plants, books, lots of lamps, interesting art on the walls ie prints, kids paintings or original stuff.

dudsville Sun 05-Nov-17 21:18:40

My dogs too! I am slowly taking the plants we have into the rubbish. They make my home look cluttered, they have to be cleaned, unlike outdoor plants that get freshly rained on from time to time. I'm told my home is warm, friendly and inviting, but I know it isn't chic or slick. It's got old "retro" things and styles but I don't think it's the decor. I think it's welcoming and easy and clean-ish.

Cagliostro Sun 05-Nov-17 21:18:43

Art. If I get birthday/Christmas money I get a print and frame from a gallery - not expensive stuff just a replica of favourite paintings, my most recent is a Hokusai I got at v&a and it makes me super happy. My parents bring me back prints from their holidays too if they go to exhibitions.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 08-Nov-17 12:47:59

Objects gathered over time in a natural way. You can’t buy that in one go.

metalkprettyoneday Sun 26-Nov-17 05:01:15

I second plants and Art. I have bought original art direct from artists on Instagram and local charity art sales . Put them in nice frames - original art on paper by emerging artists can cost the same as a posh art print.

BeerBaby Sun 26-Nov-17 05:59:09

Good light fittings and lighting such as lamps. Cosy things in cosy rooms. Cushions, throws etc. Candles with a good smell and for atmosphere. Plants are nice (until soil gets flies in it 😖). Pictures you love! Family photos, nice art. Flowers! Fruit bowls, books and the odd thing you love. Such as lanterns, door stops, big clocks etc.

Most important make sure you love everything you put into your house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now