Talk

Advanced search

Farrow & Ball Hardwick White advice please!

(12 Posts)
itsgoingtoofast Tue 24-Oct-17 16:43:23

I’m in the midst of having my living room decorated and thought I’d settled on a colour but am now second guessing myself!

I have an east facing living room with a sun room sliding doors to a sun room. There are no other windows so it gets a bit of light in the mornings but spends the majority of the day without much natural light. I have a cream fabric sofa and a brown leather sofa and a cream fireplace with black fire. I’ve come across F&B Hardwick White which I love but I’m worried it might be too dark. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience? I originally wanted a pale grey but I don’t think that would work with the fireplace/ furniture. Thanks

OddMollie Tue 24-Oct-17 16:48:06

It is quite a lot darker than it looks on the test card, IMO. We bought it for the window frames/door architrave on the exterior of our house, wanting something that would be a muddy-ish off white that wouldn't show the dirt too much, but it looks almost khaki. I'm not sure what it would be like as emulsion on walls, but it does seem to be one of those colours that looks very different on a big scale.

(Sorry, that's not actually very helpful is it?)

itsgoingtoofast Tue 24-Oct-17 17:01:25

Thanks, yes that is helpful as I felt it looked almost khaki when I put a bit of the tester on the walls. I do like the colour, just not sure if I’m bold enough to do a whole room in it confused

CalamineLotion Tue 24-Oct-17 18:46:31

How about using Wevet for a translucent grey. I used it for the walls and ceiling in my bedroom and it looks beautiful. It is hardly grey, but enough

CatherineAV Tue 24-Oct-17 20:17:08

F&B cornforth white is a gorgeous warm Grey & good against dark and light colours. There’s quite a lot of green in hardwick white I think?

itsgoingtoofast Tue 24-Oct-17 21:20:08

Thanks very much for your ideas... definitely more to think about. It’s so overwhelming!

Have had a good look and they are both beautiful colours.... I’m just not sure if my beige couch would look a bit dingy against them? That’s my concern with the paler grey, hence swaying towards the greeny tones of this one. I’m now wondering if it would be nice as a feature wall but can’t find much inspiration for a colour that would tie in. I can’t visualise easily so been spending a ridiculous amount of time on pinterest!

WittgensteinsBunny Wed 25-Oct-17 09:18:57

Hardwick White is very much a pale green colour. We have it on our front door and love it, but I'm not sure about in a room without natural light.

We're selling our house at the moment but have just started painting all of our internal woodwork in slipper satin, which I absolutely love. We will def use this colour in the new house.

Have you looked at any of the F&B neutrals groups colour schemes? I really love the traditional one. They have 6 and they're groups of colours in similar tones. I wonder if the contemporary one would work in your room? www.farrow-ball.com/neutral-groups/content/fcp-content

daffodilbrain Wed 25-Oct-17 11:10:32

I’ve had hardwick In a bathroom with dark floors it looks lovely, I then had it in a large sitting room with triple aspect windows not high ceilings and it it a definite grey/green. Lovely though. I’m my adjoining kitchen/family room I have cornforth white whiz co ordinates lovely with hardwick and it’s a nice warm grey

itsgoingtoofast Wed 25-Oct-17 13:15:37

That’s great thanks, will take a look at those suggestions. I’m now wondering whether to try one wall and do the others in one of the lighter colours.... some more investigating I think. Thanks again!

BringMeTea Thu 26-Oct-17 20:27:38

I have it in my living room which is not super light and it is very much a greeny grey. I love it. It's not what I would call dark though.

itsgoingtoofast Sat 02-Dec-17 22:29:29

Just in case anyone comes across this is the future and is wondering the same thing....

We bit the bullet and went for it on all walls and it is absolutely perfect. Not too dark and not too light, cosy and changes with the light through the day from greeny to a definite grey. Very pleased with the final look.

Thanks for all the help!

Ketzele Sat 02-Dec-17 22:40:18

Oh I'm glad to read your update! I didn't see this thread before; was just about to post that Hardwick White is one of my favourite colours and I refuse to believe it can ever go wrong! I currently have it on my front door, some internal doors and the hall bannisters, but am planning on slapping it all over the kitchen soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now