Talk

Advanced search

Should I paint ceiling white or grey?

(42 Posts)
MadameJosephine Sun 22-Oct-17 16:05:59

Trying to decide on colours for the living room before the painters come in a week to redecorate.

It’s a Victorian property, high ceilings with picture rail and lovely coving. South facing with a large bay window but lots of mature trees outside do not as light as you would think. Having white shutters fitted after painting.

Plan so far is a mid grey on the walls, probably dulux chic shadow, with white skirting, picture rail and coving. But what do I do with the ceiling? White?

Maybe I should take the mid grey to the picture rail and then have a paler grey above and on the ceiling? Something like polished pebble?

tribpot Sun 22-Oct-17 16:09:16

I've just used Dulux Grey Goose on my walls, went for a white ceiling and it looks great. I would match it to the skirting, coving and picture rail. A lighter grey above the picture rail could look good, though.

MadameJosephine Sun 22-Oct-17 16:22:50

Do you mean goose down tribpot?

I’ve got loads of testers on my wall at the moment but goose down is not in there at the moment, looks lovely though, does it have a blue-ish tinge?

tribpot Sun 22-Oct-17 17:20:27

I think I do mean Goose Down, is Grey Goose some form of booze?? (I haven't had a drink since 2011 so you would think I wouldn't get confused).

I think it does have a bit of a blue-ish tinge, but I will take a photo in there in daylight tomorrow. It's a very soft, relaxing colour, though. We have cornflower white in the hall, stairs and landing and they go really nicely together.

RatRolyPoly Sun 22-Oct-17 17:23:00

If you paint the ceiling white you'll be doing your coving a disservice! Even just a tone or two different would make all the difference.

Ttbb Sun 22-Oct-17 17:23:30

If the walls are not white then the ceiling must be.

MadameJosephine Sun 22-Oct-17 17:43:32

I know what you mean ratroly at the minute the walls, skirting, picture rail and ceiling are all cream and the coving white so it really stands out but I’m just not sure about a grey ceiling

RatRolyPoly Mon 23-Oct-17 10:36:49

I definitely think a grey ceiling can work, a light grey ceiling would easily look good, but I say that as someone who's just painted their Victorian bay-windowed kitchen ceiling in f&b Mole's Breath... I wouldn't expect you to go that far grin

Kokapetl Mon 23-Oct-17 23:00:27

I'd stick with white on the ceiling in the living room unless you go for something so pale that it could be white.

My hall and stairs have cornflower white (which looks blue or grey or white depending on the light and what it is next to) walls and ceilings with white coving and I like the effect. This was mainly because it's got a slopey bit that is the ceiling in one bit but a wall in another, though.

AnotherEmma Mon 23-Oct-17 23:04:33

Noooo not grey! Ceilings must be white! It also looks good if you have a picture rail to paint the wall above the picture rail white as well. Makes the ceilings feel higher and the room feels more airy.

And for the walls go a shade lighter than you think. The effect is always multiplied when the whole room is painted. If you have trees blocking the light from the window I think that's even more important.

ProseccoLush Mon 23-Oct-17 23:11:14

Why not try taking the grey up to and including the picture rail with white above and the picture rail and ceiling. The coving can then be picked out in the same grey or even a slightly darker shade for more impact. Does the room have a ceiling rose too? If so, I would pick that out in the same colour as the coving.
That’s the idea we have planned for our Victorian front room when Dad comes to decorate next week although different colour ways. We are having a very dark teal across the chimney breast and into the alcoves either side with a pale grey on the remaining walls, white above picture rail and ceiling with coving and ceiling rose in a darker grey. White paintwork and white wood blinds. Looking forward to the change from the pale neutral colour it is now.

BackforGood Mon 23-Oct-17 23:36:24

White. Without a doubt.

RatRolyPoly Tue 24-Oct-17 07:43:36

Heresy! Victorian decorative plasterwork MUST be white; it always would have been historically. Ceilings not so much.

MadameJosephine Tue 24-Oct-17 09:08:16

I agree the coving is definitely staying white, it’s beautiful.

Ever wish you’d never started a project? There are too many decisions to make!

ScrubbyGarden Tue 24-Oct-17 14:51:28

Can you go for the same grey for the ceiling, but several shades lighter? For the sake of the coving.
Or go mad and paint it shocking pink! (My neighbour has neon ceilings and they look absolutely fantastic. I am craven and have white though)

polyjuice Wed 25-Oct-17 16:04:31

I like Strong White. It’s a grey white smile

KanyeWesticle Wed 25-Oct-17 16:11:22

Keep the ceiling white.

TheWiseOldElf Wed 25-Oct-17 16:18:38

We have French Gray walls and ceiling with Slipper Satin coving, skirting and windows. I love a coloured ceiling in a Victorian house. Obviously not the same in a low ceiling modern house.

ohidoliketobe Wed 25-Oct-17 16:19:12

Here's a pic of my South facing dining room chimney breast. Massive bay, Walls and ceiling chic shadow, 1ft coving (and skirting not in pic) brilliant white. Really makes the coving pop- ceiling was white previously.

TheWiseOldElf Wed 25-Oct-17 16:23:15

In our playroom we have painted coving and skirting in to match the walls and ceiling (Elephants Breath) which gives a bit more of a contemporary look. Not ideal for a more formal lounge.

SixInTheBed Wed 25-Oct-17 16:26:39

Paint the ceiling grey or a grey white. Apparently a shade lighter or darker than walls is best.Will highlight coving and less likely to have shadowy areas .

Have a read of this or google similar articles laurelberninteriors.com/2016/02/21/georgeous-ceiling-paint-colors-and-one-thats-often-not/

My interior design cousin always paints ceilings a colour. We've just done it in a room , and took her advice, although we painted ceiling and walls same light warm grey. It looks great and really highlights coving and woodwork which is painted in a grey tinged white. I'm planning to repaint my white kitchen ceiling as well after seeing the results.

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Oct-17 16:31:33

I would paint it white. I think you will find the shutters steal a lot of light from the room, so the white ceiling will brighten it.

MadameJosephine Wed 25-Oct-17 17:24:41

Well I thought I’d made my mind up about a white ceiling and goose down walls until I saw your photo ohidoliketobe that’s gorgeous!

I am a bit concerned about the room being a bit too dark when the shutters go up though

Aargh I’ve got to make my mind up by tomorrow so they can buy the paint!

AnotherEmma Wed 25-Oct-17 17:25:30

I suggest you paint it white and then you can always repaint it grey if you change you mind. Easier that way around.

MadameJosephine Wed 25-Oct-17 17:25:47

sixintgebed I don’t suppose you would be prepared to share a pic of your grey ceiling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now