Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need help with a really silly problem - so sorry!

(7 Posts)
Sedgewick Thu 12-Oct-17 16:33:25

Though I've been FRANTICALLY busy, I've managed to find 30 mins every few days to try and make our home look presentable. It's definitely looking better but I'm a bit amazed that even in an old Victorian like ours you're still staring at those ugly plastic light switches!

I found some GORGEOUS ones online: jillycunningham.com/projects/beautiful-light-switches/ but unfortunately they are a COMPLETE light switch, and I wasn't sure if I should get one or get one of those light switch covers instead?

Must say I haven't found covers as lovely as the complete ones, I've attached pics so you can see what I'm getting so excited about. I'd much rather just get one - but I've just never fixed a light switch to a wall before!!!

Sorry - I know I'm a wimp! :-) Any advice? I am rubbish at DIY but I'd really like to do this.

3catsandcounting Thu 12-Oct-17 18:09:26

We had old-style pewter covers (U-Switch, or something like that). They were dead easy to fit, but didn't last long. They were only held on with double-sided sticky pads, which came unstuck within months and rendered the light switch useless.
DH said he'd never use them again.

AgentProvocateur Thu 12-Oct-17 18:19:52

I didn't realise I hated my light switches till I saw the ones in your post, OP. Roughly how much are they?

Sedgewick Thu 12-Oct-17 18:27:42

Oh dear, that sounds rubbish. I'll definitely avoid light switch covers then. In a way that makes it easier as these ones that I love are proper light switches. I am head over heels with them so I guess I have to face up to doing some (more!!) DIY.

Just wondered if anyone had managed to fit a light switch or if it's something you'd get an electrician to do?
I'm an adult - I feel like I should know stuff like this?!

ErrolTheDragon Thu 12-Oct-17 18:39:06

Just wondered if anyone had managed to fit a light switch or if it's something you'd get an electrician to do?

Get an electrician! The consequences of getting it wrong could be fatal.

Sedgewick Thu 12-Oct-17 19:01:56

I know, Agent Provocateur - I've actually started having dreams about them! I contacted the artist and the one I've reserved is £95 but she said that a custom design can be up to £200. I'd stick to the ones on the website and save your money!
I must say I was so disappointed when I tried to find a nice painting for the living room this summer. The prices made my eyes water. I can justify my light switch as it's a lot cheaper and much less of a commitment than a massive painting on the wall. My daughter loves all of them so I am going to have to massively manage her expectations!

But I've no idea how you actually put a light switch (any type of light switch) on the wall? My house came with its own light switches... I just want to get a sense of whether it's something I should be doing myself, or if most people would hire a handy man. (Ideally I'd like to avoid the extra expense.)

boneyes Thu 12-Oct-17 19:09:39

Beautiful! Get an electrician if it phases you even slightly ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now