Talk

Advanced search

what colour after grey?

(10 Posts)
ACurlyWurly Tue 10-Oct-17 10:32:54

Its all grey and off whites in my house, I love the colours but it took so long to buy the house and decorate that I fear that grey was becoming a bit old hat by the time it went up. I dont intend to decorate right away but what colours do you think will be the next big thing?

glasshalfsomething Tue 10-Oct-17 16:56:07

I think the warm colours must be due a comeback. 90s terracotta/orange/red, only nicer (not like they used it on changing rooms)?

My whole house is done in cool grey, green or blue - the only colour I don't have is red/orange so that's what I'm basing the above on!

user1495034589 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:54:51

Do you really care and depend on what is the next new thing? If you get into that rut whatever you have will be 'dated' as all the telly programmes will have you think almost before you have finished painting! And then it is buy buy buy again.

Surely it is about what you like and what would suit your particular room/house. And also with any neutral background, changing the look and feel if you want is so easy by changing cushions/artwork/rugs.

I decorate when and how I want according to my rooms/home and personal taste. However, I may be in the minority here I realise. Apologies for being rather direct, no offense meant.

SoPassRemarkable Tue 10-Oct-17 17:56:19

Deep blue I reckon.

littlemissneela Tue 10-Oct-17 18:13:58

It seems to be veering towards dark colours, which is fine if you have big enough rooms and windows, but I would imagine to be very dark if not done carefully.

blanklook Tue 10-Oct-17 18:34:10

Use whatever you like to live with.

Look through colour palettes for warm neutral pastels for maximising smaller rooms or rooms that don't have the sun streaming in, remember all emulsion darkens with age, so go a couple of tones lighter than what you think will look best.

Very sunny rooms can take cooler colours easily without feeling chilly, pastel shades if you want to accessorise with a little bold colour or a bolder tone of colour on the walls if the room's large or unusual enough to take it.

Read loads, look at loads of interiors then do whatever you're happiest with, you have to live there smile

ACurlyWurly Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:26

I agree it matter what we like not what’s next. But if you told me 5 years ago that my house was going to be grey and my only nod to colour was duck egg blue I would have been shocked

JoJoSM2 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:31:41

I reckon cream, beige, brown - warmer neutrals. I would also put my money on patterned wallpapers coming back. In terms of accent colours, they tend to change more often and are less likely to make a house looking dated.

EmmyInTheSticks Wed 11-Oct-17 19:34:12

John Lewis have lots of navy and blush pink. Not that they are cutting edge but probably quite attuned to the new mainstream colour choices.

JoJoSM2 Thu 12-Oct-17 09:30:56

I thought navy has been done to death already. I had a navy sitting room 5 years ago. I also imagine that the pink is more of a 1-2 year trend. Same as copper was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now