Talk

Advanced search

Daylight bulbs - anyone use these?

(9 Posts)
GilligansKitchenIsland Mon 09-Oct-17 09:51:38

I don't mean the SAD lights you're supposed to sit in front of for 30 minutes a day; I mean just replacing the regular light bulbs in your house with daylight-coloured ones. The darkness really gets me down this time of year, and we replaced our main living room light with really bright daylight-coloured LEDs. It's definitely made the place brighter and helped me feel better, but the colour is towards the blue end of the spectrum and quite cold.
I'd sort of like to put daylight bulbs through my whole house now but we have people over quite a lot for dinner etc and I'm worried they'll think the house has a really cold ambiance. I feel like most people in the UK have warm-coloured lighting in their homes and they'll really feel the difference when they come to ours.
Anyone else done this and loved it? The LED bulbs aren't cheap so I don't want to invest and then feel like I'm living in an igloo grin

Candlefairy101 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:10:50

I can only stand the warmer hues I'm not sure why, but the colder blue tone doesn't sit right with me and I suffer from SAD, in the evening once it's dark I can only have lamps on because he glare from the ceiling lights makes me want to stay awake!

TheCraicDealer Tue 10-Oct-17 10:25:46

I really don’t like the daylight coloured ones tbh- they feel very cold and it’s just not my jam. My dad on the other hand loves them, although that’s probably just because they’re so energy efficient.

What might be a good compromise (albeit more expensive) are the Hue smart bulbs from Phillips with the hub. These come with an app so you can toggle the brightness and shade of white (or on pricier, models any colour) from warm white to bright daylight. I’ve just got them set up in three lights atm mainly for security, but they are good. It would mean you can change the lighting when people come around or when you want to make it feel “cosy” for guests. You can also turn them on/off from bed which is amazing grin

TheCraicDealer Tue 10-Oct-17 10:33:35

Here is the set that will let you change the shade of white (but not colour!). This is the mid range kit- the cheapest just lets you turn lights on/off and dim them, and the pricey one lets you change colours which might only really be necessary if you have people over for a rave as well as dinner.

LtheWife Tue 10-Oct-17 10:44:00

I’d also recommend smart bulbs. I have a house full of Philips hue bulbs and have them set up with a “dull day” scene that turns the lights to a cool, bright daylight effect in darker rooms during daylight hours. As the sun sets they then warm up a little to a more yellow light. After dinner the living room lamps switch on to a dimmed warm light, half of the kitchen lights turn off whilst the other half (that light the drink prep areas) dim and the hallway lights come on with a motion sensor. Then they all switch themselves off after we’ve gone to bed (barring hallway lights that stay on a motion controlled night light setting). That all happens automatically but I can use the Hue app or Siri/Alexa etc for additional control when needed.

Hue bulbs aren’t cheap, especially if you want the coloured bulbs, the “White Ambiance” bulbs that do warm and cool dimmable white light cost about £25 each. Ikea also do their own range, Tradfi. The cheaper bulbs are just dimmable warm white but the £15 versions do cool as well as warm.

Bazzinga Wed 11-Oct-17 06:54:38

I have a couple in my halls and and kitchen. I don’t have much natural light and my house always felt a bit dark. I much prefer it now. Still have the Warmer ones in the living room for cosyness

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Thu 12-Oct-17 09:35:35

I use them in certain areas.

So in the bathrooms, halls, in one floor lamp in the sitting room and in my study we have the daylight bulbs.

Everywhere else we have the warm ones.

try2hard Thu 12-Oct-17 19:58:28

We have smart bulbs too. Although I think that it's not true battle blue light bulbs help SAD I think they have to be millions of candle lights to do that - hence why the SAD lamps are usually quite big.

GilligansKitchenIsland Sat 14-Oct-17 11:53:11

Thanks for your replies, all! The smart bulbs look perfect - but unfortunately out of the budget at the moment, especially as we rent, and all the light fittings are those candelabra-type ones that take 3-4 bulbs each! But I've pinned them to our "dream house" board on Pinterest for whenever we do eventually buy.
Should say that I don't actually have SAD, I just feel a bit down when it's so gloomy outside.
I think I'll do as PPs suggested and put the daylight ones in hallways, kitchen, bathroom, but keep "cozy" ones in the bedroom for sleeping. And maybe a combination of small cozy lamps and bright overhead lights in the living room so we can switch between them accordingly.
Thanks again for the advice! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: