Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So many Valspar colours!!

(17 Posts)
intelligentPutty Sun 08-Oct-17 21:21:35

We want a pretty plain coloured living room. Light. Airy. Not white as I feel it’s too stark.
We will have wooden medium to dark floors.
I took a look at valspar and there are soooooo many colours. I have no idea what to choose.
Any recommendations!?!

CrabappleCake Sun 08-Oct-17 21:24:02

We used puffed rice in hallway with white woodwork. It's a yellow cream. Feels very light and bright.

travailtotravel Sun 08-Oct-17 21:26:06

Yes. Our decorator refused to use them after we chose all the colours for our entire house. He said they are too unreliable in terms of quality of finish.... so j then had to colour natch everything to dukux trade.

But our lounge us scrooges nightmare and weathered cottage, hallway moonstone, bedroom Liverpool sea jolly, rose Grenache and one that's a heather colour. Bathroom Santorini seascape.

travailtotravel Sun 08-Oct-17 21:27:17

God sorry about the spelling errors. Ruddy predictive on my tablet.

intelligentPutty Sun 08-Oct-17 21:29:12

Would be great if I can see some pictures. Google really does not seek to be my friend. We took a while to choose and now it’s getting too close.
I am worried of too yellow. Does I presume it’s not too much?
Found ‘at the barre’ which is a very very pale pink. We like it until we realise the pink hue. I think the barre is something to do with ballet?!

Ruth2009 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:36:39

We have limestone path which is a pale grey/blue/green and it's lovely.
Beware though, I've heard a lot of people complain about the smell of valspar, which is caused by a reaction with something in the plaster, apparently it smells of cat pee and is near impossible to get rid of.

Itsjustaphase84 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:39:55

I'd do your research first on Valspar. There are a lot of negative reviews about the finished smell.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 08-Oct-17 21:42:43

Haven't Valspar re-jigged their formula to get rid of the "cat wee" issue now? I thought it was no longer problem?

BelafonteRavenclaw Sun 08-Oct-17 21:44:02

We had to paint every room in our home when we bought it 2 years ago. We found them the best compared to other brands. We did try the cheaper version they do and I wasn’t too impressed as it was a bit watered down.
Stick to the normal one and have fun picking out colours.

BastardTart Sun 08-Oct-17 21:46:12

Erm, I'd choose a different brand (have friends who used it and the smell is not something they enjoyed living with but was exceptionally difficult to get rid of, so much so that the room painted has its window permanently ajar)

intelligentPutty Sun 08-Oct-17 21:49:41

Well....
I won a pot of the good one v700? A year ago when painting the bedroom.
So sort of feel I should use it. And our decorator is very pleased. He likes it. So if he’s happy then I am. His work looks good generally.
I read about the smell. But never experienced that when used it before and I read they fixed the formulation...
thanks for replies. Am googling away for examples of these colours.
wink

Bumdishcloths Sun 08-Oct-17 21:54:35

Valspar isn't very good quality from experience. We go with Dulux every time now.

Polkadotties Sun 08-Oct-17 21:55:37

Fresh water pearls. It's a lovely colour, looks different in different lights.
Had the whole house painted in valspar earlier in the year and it doesn't smell

washingmachinefastwash Sun 08-Oct-17 21:58:31

I’ve painted with valspar and can confirm there is no smell.

Hidihihidiho Sun 08-Oct-17 22:00:44

We used valspar in our dining room.... never again, paint easily comes of the wall. A chair touches it and the paint comes off... had to touch up so many times! Avoid at all costs xx

Sheddie Sun 08-Oct-17 22:09:35

I work in the paint industry and know that the Valspar smell issue has now been sorted. The top quality tier paint they sell is very good and came out better than Dulux in testing.

affectionincoldclimate Mon 09-Oct-17 01:47:39

* *Our decorator refused to use them after we chose all the colours for our entire house. He said they are too unreliable in terms of quality of finish....

This ^

My decorator was pulling his hair out end of last year after my request for a feature wall 2 x 2 m took best part of 7 hours and 6 coats. We used 2.5 l on one wall (!!!). If I was not there with him all day I wouldn’t have believed it but it was so bad. The finish was awful with individual pigments showing in places and paint dragging in smudges. Terrible. Painted over with Dulux trade and staying well away from Valspar since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now