Talk

Advanced search

Are those chevron rugs passé now? Any recs for an affordable rug for living room if so?

(19 Posts)
JesusTapdancingChrist Sat 07-Oct-17 17:49:55

My dream rug would be a well worn faded antique persian in red tones but sadly I do not have the budget for such things and the cheap ones are hideous.

Living room has wooden floors, dark wood furniture, walls painted in a very dark teal as per picture below, copper light fittings/lamps, fairy lights, lots of plants, vintage framed film art on walls, a kind of bohemian vibe done on the cheap.

I think a black/white chevron rug would look quite cool/striking and don't massively care if it is considered naff now but just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

Budget up to £100 but would prefer lower. Needs to be a decent size to go under coffee table.

Hate neutrals/grey.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sat 07-Oct-17 17:52:19

Ikea have them for around sixty quid, I think?

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:08:16

I have picked up quite a few Persian rugs st antique auctions ranging from 20 for smallish to around 100 for an enormous one

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 09-Oct-17 11:20:49

Just returning to say that I had a quick mooch on Gumtree the other night and saw a post from someone selling a large persian rug.

Have just been and am now the proud owner of a huge (230cm x 160cm) antique persian rug and it cost me the princely sum of £10 (plus petrol)shock grin.

It's not the red one of my dreams but it is actually perfect for my room as it is dark blue/green/beige. In pretty great condition (am spot cleaning as I type).

Will post a photo when I'm done. Can't believe how lucky I've been and am really glad I didn't buy a chevron rug now!!

Thanks for the replies flowers.

MCBeatsandGrindah Mon 09-Oct-17 11:23:21

Ooh yes please post a pic!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 09-Oct-17 11:30:30

Hey, result!

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 09-Oct-17 12:24:40

Here you go. The colours are a bit richer/more vibrant in real life.

Feeling smugger than a smug thing right now grin.

EarlessToothlessVagabond Mon 09-Oct-17 12:26:13

Looks brilliant! I love the colour you have on your wall as well- what is it?

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 09-Oct-17 12:27:37

Thanks Earless.

It's Valspar Midtown Magic. I love it too. Painted it when I moved in in May this year and no cat pee smell to report!

EarlessToothlessVagabond Mon 09-Oct-17 12:29:38

It's gorgeous. I'm redecorating our living room in the spring, will test that colour out. The dark wood of your cabinet looks good against it too.

LimpidPools Mon 09-Oct-17 12:32:08

Oh wow. I am jealous. That looks beautiful! (And much better than a chevron rug.)

MCBeatsandGrindah Mon 09-Oct-17 12:36:47

Love that colour combination with the rug/wall and wood too.

RosyPony Mon 09-Oct-17 12:38:53

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I wanted an answer to this question that I could buy!

I bet gumtree has nothing that good near me! :D

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 09-Oct-17 12:42:24

Well done OP! Your room looks fab and brilliant about the rug, really chuffed for you!

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 09-Oct-17 12:46:48

Aww thank you everyone. This is the first home I've owned and the first house I've lived in with the DC as a single parent. I've been putting in quite a bit of effort into making it look nice (on a beer budget) and it's lovely to hear such nice comments. Feeling all fuzzy now smile.

Rosy you never know, I'd recommend eBay as well if you filter by 'Collection Only' and within 10 miles of your address. I saw a few on there but they ended up going for £50+ (which is still a bargain).

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:04:15

Wow it's fabulous. £10!!!!!

We are house twins grin
I love willow pattern and scour charity shops for it. Love your display cabinet. And we painted our sitting room the same colour in our last house. You have fabulous taste wink

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 09-Oct-17 19:09:20

Haha Winner I hope you're not in W. Yorks or we could well end up brawling over a sugar pot in a Sue Ryder 😂😂.

I actually got the cabinet in a charity shop a few years ago. I think it was £110 but I haggled and got it for £90. It's antique walnut and lined in a sage green velvet. It's so gorgeous. I actually have an original Victorian fireplace that I won on eBay that is eventually going to take its place but it's going to be a helluva long time before I can afford to have the chimney breast wall knocked out and the fireplace fitted.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:19:33

Phew, I'm the other end of the country so my charity finds are safe from your beedy eyes

When you get your fireplace fitted send the cabinet my way.

Enjoy making your home your own. Looks like you are doing a beautiful job.
We are almost at the end of a long stretch of living in rented houses. Can't wait to have a place of my own to put my stamp on

wobblywonderwoman Sun 15-Oct-17 09:17:20

Wow!!! Really gorgeous op. £10

I love your pottery too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now