Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got coloured wooden stairs?

(20 Posts)
MariaWaria Fri 29-Sep-17 18:39:54

Currently a boring, dated pine.

What's a good colour for stairs? Looking for a classy look rather than fun and zany.

JoJoSM2 Sat 30-Sep-17 09:03:09

Mine are stained dark. If you're painting, then white looks good with some styles. We had white and greige in the last house, similar to the pic. Or you could go dark, as per another pic.

I suppose every house if slightly different, but I prefer lighter colours in period houses and darker in 20's and 30's one. The latter seem to have more masculine looking splindles ets so hence darker colours seem to suit the better.

MariaWaria Sat 30-Sep-17 16:41:36

I like both of those Jo Unfortunately my stairs are modern so no interesting spindles or bannister.

insancerre Sat 30-Sep-17 16:49:20

Mine are grey
They were orange pine

Ttbb Sat 30-Sep-17 16:50:53

I saw a house where the stairs had been painted grey. It looked really bad and was very slippery. Maybe opt for black as suggested above to give it the appearance of being tarred?

SerfTerf Sat 30-Sep-17 16:52:35

The dust would be a nightmare. I got rid of a paint and stair runner combo for that reason.

insancerre Sat 30-Sep-17 16:53:40

My stairs are less slippy now than when they were stained pine
We used a floor paint

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 30-Sep-17 16:58:57

These were mine pre building work. Builders ruined them so I had to redo.
I now have rainbow spindles, pink stairs and the risers have a selection of papers rather than just one.

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 30-Sep-17 17:00:30

I agree re dust. They show up ALL the dust and dog hair. Easy to clean though and I would rather be able to see it and clean it rather than knowing its there, lurking grin

SerfTerf Sat 30-Sep-17 17:01:47

No carpet repels dust. I don't want to hear otherwise <fingers in ears> smile

SerfTerf Sat 30-Sep-17 17:02:25

No. Carpet repels....^

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sat 30-Sep-17 17:03:41

M treads are pale blue. Railings white. Left the bannister rail bit as varnished wood. They were an orangey pine before. They look great.

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 30-Sep-17 17:06:14

It harbours it.
Lurky lurky dust....all over the place......

picklemepopcorn Sat 30-Sep-17 17:39:07

But... aren't all those stair cases incredible noisy? Doesn't the house feel all echoey, and the family sound like clog dancing elephants?

SerfTerf Sat 30-Sep-17 17:41:36

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 30-Sep-17 18:16:52

Mine isn't. I have loads of kids culumping up and down them all day.
Perhaps I am just used to it.
Mind you, my house won't ever be echoey. Its far to full of stuff for that.
I am not what you would describe as a minimalist.

JoJoSM2 Sat 30-Sep-17 21:00:04

I don't think mine are noisy either.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sat 30-Sep-17 22:07:42

No, not noisy. They are open treads, not sure if that makes a difference? Plus in the last year, DC1 has a bedroom downstairs (only 2 DC) so doesn't need to go upstairs much!

picklemepopcorn Sun 01-Oct-17 07:51:13

I love the look, but suspect my family would be noisy and I'm really noise averse. I've got a three story house, each staircase has a half turn in it, so actually four little staircases. I could remove the carpet from one and store it, as an experiment... but then there's the carpet grippers. Maybe not.

MariaWaria Fri 06-Oct-17 20:05:21

insan - my stairs are similar to yours - they look great..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now