Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your shoe cabinets

(20 Posts)
MrMenAndLittleMiss Wed 27-Sep-17 13:42:06

Or other shoe storage solutions, (please) smile
I'm thinking of buying a shoe cabinet but I'm wondering whether they actually hold enough shoes to make them worthwhile. We're a family of four and we do have an under stairs cupboard but it is off the kitchen rather than the hallway and I have too many shoes
I also have a few too many pairs of boots, which I assume won't fit in a shoe cabinets?
Tia.

Rejectedwoman Fri 29-Sep-17 09:39:29

Stuff your not wearing in wardrobes. One pair of shoes each downstairs. I use a basket but want to change to the ikea shoe storage cupboard in white. Just be careful putting it against a wall which gets damp as it will get into the shoes.

MiaowTheCat Fri 29-Sep-17 13:40:16

I've got Kallax with a drawer each per child (and multiple drawers for me because I have more shoes). The proper shoe storage cupboards look like no bugger bar me would actually put shoes in properly, and most of what I wear are boots which don't fit as easily.

School book bags also fit beautifully neatly in kallax drawers so I use them for those too. Baskets on top for hats, gloves (matched pairs this time of year, by the end of winter it's just odd ones and grab two and get your coat on) and the like.

Shadow666 Fri 29-Sep-17 13:47:28

We have two of these Billy bookshelves with an extra shelf. The bottom space is larger for boots and the upper shelves narrower for shoes. Our space is 160cm wide so two fit perfectly.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/bookcases/billy-bookcase-white-art-30263844/

mumma24 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:53:49

I have the hemnes ikea large shoe cupboard

Longdistance Sun 08-Oct-17 14:58:22

I'm swinging by, as I'm interested too.

I'd like an oak shoe storage unit for the hallway.

Polkadot1974 Sun 08-Oct-17 15:54:22

There's one on my local Facebook buy and sell but at £50 I'm a bit hmmm about investing. It's like a normal cupboard rather than tilted storage. Am I being mean/ skinflint?

User5trillion Sun 08-Oct-17 15:58:48

I have 3 of the cupboard type ones with drawers that swing forward to open- I think ikea sell them. I got mine off of groupon and they are very shoddy and I still have tonnes of shoes everywhere. On theory however they are a great idea. I think I just need to kondo my shoes as I have way way to many pairs. I also have a shoe rack in porch and in my bedroom. Still trip over shoes constantly grr

Softkitty2 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:25:02

longdistance have you found an oak one? Any links? Thanks

Callmegeoff Mon 09-Oct-17 09:01:18

I bought a pine chest of drawers, 4 big drawers. Family of 4 we have 1 each 2 smaller top drawers have dog stuff in one and random crap in the other.

0nlyMe Mon 09-Oct-17 09:03:50

I find shoe racks don’t hold enough either. I have ALOT of shoes. I’ve bought plywood cut to size from b&q so the diagonal awkward bit under the stairs can have 2 or 3 rows on or baskets for hats/gloves. And then shelves on either side as well. Hooks on the other side for coats. One set of hooks lower for the kids. They open the door and dump their shoes anywhere at the moment.

Mmzz Mon 09-Oct-17 09:04:52

I have the kallax system with a basket for each person's shoes. The DC like it because it's theirs alone. So I have no trouble getting them to put their shoes and trainers away.

drspouse Mon 09-Oct-17 09:07:27

We have an Argos cabinet (but like an Ikea one) and I keep 8 pairs in my bit. Boots have to go in the wardrobe, and sandals in summer.
We keep it at the top of the stairs rather than inside the front door (downstairs is all hard flooring).

Candlefairy101 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:15:59

I have a shoe cabinet with two pull out drawers for the children 3x of them! I refuse to let my husband put his shoes in there I let him keep his 1 pair of work boots and everything else goes in the wardrobe upstairs! I have way too many shoes to be putting them in a cupboard downstairs plus I choose what shoes I'm wearing when I choose my outfit for the day.

Candlefairy101 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:20:08

Show cupboard just for the kids

Topsyloulou Tue 10-Oct-17 11:32:50

We bought a normal sideboard with 3 cupboards in off eBay for our porch for about £50 & then some shoe tidy boxes from ikea. DP & I have a cupboard each & the middle one is for any overflow from mine & DS's shoes. I can fit loads of pairs in there. I put the winter shoes away upstairs in the summer to put the sandals in & vice versa. There is a handy secret drawer in the middle cupboard that we use for keys. It's handy to stick bags on when you walk in & take coats & shoes off etc before going into the house. I looked at lots of shoe cupboards & decided they were all too small for what we needed them for.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 10-Oct-17 14:29:20

I have one of those lifty uppy beds that I keep all my shoes in. I have many many shoes. The rest of the family take their chances in the Hall cupboard.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 10-Oct-17 14:30:49

* *One pair of shoes each downstairs

How the hell does that work. I wear different shoes every day according to my outfit and might change 1 or 2 times a day (gym, meeting, walk)

llangennith Tue 10-Oct-17 19:13:20

IKEA Kallax for shoes here too.

YorkshireTea86 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:44:43

We have Ikea brusali although the bottom drawer bit no longer pulls out/down. It doesn't really hold enough tbh. I'm the only one that takes any shoes back upstairs so kids have 3 pairs each downstairs (school shoes, trainers and either boots or sandals depending on the season) dh has about 5 or 6 and have about 4. I'm planning on getting a narrow pax wardrobe when we can afford it as you can add about 10 shelves which hold 2 pairs each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now