Talk

Advanced search

Will I regret painting my bedroom dark blue?!

(26 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 21-Sep-17 10:21:28

I know blue is having a thing at the moment and I love it but cannot decide on a shade. Do I go all out dark blue or stick with a pretty but not so adventurous lighter shade.
Little greene marine blue was recommended on here and it is beautiful but so deep and I'm not exactly bold with decorating! Any thoughts or experiences welcome!
Furniture is white.
What colour curtains would go? I struggle with curtains the most.

kmmr Thu 21-Sep-17 11:09:42

My friend had a navy blue bedroom. I was totally against it, but it looked amazing once it was done. No idea what curtains they went with, but with that green you've suggested what about black curtains?

kmmr Thu 21-Sep-17 11:11:39

Or, how about a natural linen style. Would give some light and texture.

horriblehistorieswench Thu 21-Sep-17 12:00:21

I think dark blue is better & can still feel cosy rather than a cold lighter shade. DD has one wall in her room dark blue, rest are white, her curtains, duvet etc are multi-coloured jewel shades & it looks great. Her room is quite small, had it been bigger I'd have gone blue on all the walls. There are so many colours you can use to contrast & liven it up - Skandi blue & white, nautical with red, opulent golds & jewel tones. Go for it!

keeponkeepinon Thu 21-Sep-17 13:35:14

The furniture is white so that takes a lot of wall space. I suppose deciding whether to go with the marine type blue or teal with green in it or a truer navy is a big question. I adore all blues and can't quite settle on a favourite tone for this.
Plus there's matching in a bedspread or linen and lighting as well. Somehow the teal seems trickier to match to than a proper navy if that makes sense, though it may be a warmer colour.
The over riding colours in the room would be blue and white, I could put pops of colour in but it's still the curtains that would need finding. White curtains would presumably be a mistake if we wish to get any sleep in the summer months?

teaandtoast Thu 21-Sep-17 13:38:53

A friend painted her bedroom blue, with blue accented accessories. She changed it after a month because she said it felt so cold!

Ttbb Thu 21-Sep-17 13:45:29

I've seen pastel pink shutters paired with dark blue-looked surprising and awesome at the same time. Another option maybe wood panneling. Half high white panneling at the way around or if you have a fire place in the room extensive white panneling around the fire place would also work. Another option, if you have high ceilings, is to portion off the upper part of the ceiling (at about 2.4 meters) and paint that white to match the ceiling. This will make the ceilings look higher and the room brighter. Walnutalso loooksreally goodwoth dark blue and will give your room a more sophisticated feel so I would suggest walnut flooring with a white rug or a small bedside table or sonething in walnut so the room doesn't seem too devoid of natural textures. I think that the biggest risk with dark paints is a lack of natural light-do you have big windows or could you put in a sky light/tunnel? Another thing to be mindful of is nighttime lighting. If you stick a lampshade on a flourencant bulb with the intention of giving as much light as possible it will look drab. Instead I would suggest embracing the gloom and having several warm toned lamps about the place.

ProseccoMamam Thu 21-Sep-17 13:45:36

My sons have a navy room, try to have the darkness on your feature wall and then dot it around to carry on the theme.

For example my sons room has a navy and white striped feature wall, plus lamp, bedding and curtains (all mostly white though-they have navy stars or stripes ever so the theme carries on but it doesn't look like the Chester zoo bat cave)

ChesterFuckingDraws Thu 21-Sep-17 13:46:30

I had one navy wall in an all white room with navy curtains and loved. The room was huge so it didn't look too small etc however it was a pain to cover when I decided to paint the room to sell and thought light bright rooms would be better. took about 4 coats to cover it sufficiently and in certain lights you could still see a hint of blue.

That colour of blue you mention is lovely, I'd probably stick with light coloured curtains with blackout lining to stop the room feeling too dark and heavy

Ttbb Thu 21-Sep-17 13:46:41

Watch Anne with an E on netflix to have a look at their living room for an example of panneling as described above.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 21-Sep-17 13:47:19

We have F+B Drawing Room Blue on the wall behind our bed and a stone colour on the rest of the walls. Furniture is white and walnut . Colourful accents. We love it.

MissWilmottsGhost Thu 21-Sep-17 13:49:59

Not until you want to paint over it.

Then you will discover how many coats it takes to get rid of the blue and then you will only paint your house light colours forever more.

<voice of experience>

Robinredface Thu 21-Sep-17 13:51:58

Our bedroom is Hague blue and it's a beautiful dark navy with a hint of teal. It feels inviting and luxurious, I love it. Go for it!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 21-Sep-17 13:56:00

Painted our bedroom a midnight blue which we loved and didn't regret but then we moved. Ceiling and skirting stayed white.
Our old neighbour told me it took the new owner many coats of white paint to cover not my problem .

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Thu 21-Sep-17 13:56:03

Mine is Little Greene Hicks Blue and I love it, got oak furniture and white linen and curtains. It's really restful and cosy. DD has one wall in LG Deep Space Blue, not sure that would be so good for a whole room as it is really richly blue (if that makes sense!) whereas Hicks Blue is darker.
I haven't tried to paint over either of them yet, I might yet regret it!

Pastacube Thu 21-Sep-17 13:57:37

i have one airforce blue wall which I love. it looks really good and i am loathe to change it even though it's old.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 21-Sep-17 14:02:05

why not go for a complete contrast bright colour like Orange or Fuschia Pink velvet curtains and cushions on the bed?

keeponkeepinon Thu 21-Sep-17 14:19:58

Ah now see I am being put off. I don't like dark dreary rooms and I am afraid of feeling this after a while. And it be a complete pain to cover up. I have said in recent years I only want light colours in the house so that's why I am so conflicted!

It's not a huge room, just enough for double, wardrobes and a big chest of drawers. Not a huge window either maybe 4ft wide? But south facing.
Should I appeal to my more sensible self and go for pretty duck egg or Wedgwood?

Pallisers Thu 21-Sep-17 14:26:26

Our bedroom is a dark greyish blue (Ds's is one shade darker in the same shade and I actually prefer his). We have white bookshelves and wardrobe doors, white blinds (no curtains) and a fabric headboard which is a mixture of blue/green/teal/red. It also isn't a huge room. I much prefer it to the lighter shade it used to be.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Thu 21-Sep-17 14:27:39

Do they still sell lining wallpaper? Cover the wall you want to paint with it. You can just strip it all off if you decide you don't like it.

ProseccoMamam Thu 21-Sep-17 16:56:54

For all those saying it was hard to paint over dark walls, didn't you use a primer?

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 22-Sep-17 19:23:07

I really want to paint our bedroom navy. We have lots of white furniture, big mirrors and white bedding so I'm hoping it'll feel cosy and not dark. Still to persuade DH though...

loulouscandi Sat 30-Sep-17 20:38:48

I painted our bedroom a deep blue on 3 walls and had a simple white with grey pattern wallpaper on the other wall. Mostly white and a very light wood bed and a bit of copper chucked in for handles etc. I had reservations but am so glad I went for, can't understand why I thought about it for so long now and didn't just do it.

Hunkle Sat 30-Sep-17 20:41:31

Dunelm sell lovely blackout curtains in lovely light colours.

We have the duck egg ones & the room is very dark when they are closed.

Hunkle Sat 30-Sep-17 20:49:35

We have these in duck egg.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: