Talk

Advanced search

Painting cupboard doors and tiles

(8 Posts)
AmIAWeed Fri 08-Sep-17 12:08:26

We moved house at the beginning of the year and the whole house is in need of modernization. Deep down and logically I know this all takes time, but as we do some rooms it highlights just how shabby the others are.
The kitchen is in great condition and planned really well but is the original one the house was built in back in the 70's. Very outdated.
I want to paint the tiles and cupboard doors to tide us over 2 years until we can afford to put a kitchen in. Husband is adament it will look awful.
Has anyone painted theirs and has it lasted more than a year before looking crap?

Kimlek Fri 08-Sep-17 13:08:17

In our first house (so going back 18yrs) I painted our 1960's Formica style kitchen cupboards with yellow cupboard paint from B&Q - back then there was just one brand of paint - Rustoleum, I think, so I used that with a roller - they turned out fab but they were very simple flat faced doors so easy to do. I also painted the tiles (spakshback area) white with tile paint. Again this was quick and easy and looked good. I also painted the worktop which although was fine short term, it started looking shabby a year or so later just before we extended and ripped it all out. Painting was definitely a cheap & simple solution until we could afford a decent new kitchen. There's loads more products now specifically for various surfaces.

AmIAWeed Fri 08-Sep-17 13:23:52

Thanks Kimlek.
The worktops whilst slightly orangy aren't too offensive and in stupidly good condition considering how old it all is so it really is just doors and cupboards. I wonder if I should just do it without asking him....!

user1499786242 Fri 08-Sep-17 13:41:31

We are about to be in the EXACT same situation!
Kitchen of the new house is fine, nice granite work tops but I'm not a fan of the colour of the wood doors or the tiles!
Have been on Pinterest and google trying to find examples of people who have painted the cupboards!
Can't decide what to do!!!!!

user1499786242 Fri 08-Sep-17 13:41:51

If you do it please upload some pictures haha

Kimlek Fri 08-Sep-17 14:04:20

Just do it. I did. But he wouldn't have cared either way. That's why I chose a funky yellow. The Orange worktop sounds 'interesting'! If you can get away with not painting worktops then great as that was the only bit that looked naff when I did it. Have a bit of fun with it too.

AmIAWeed Fri 08-Sep-17 14:20:48

I really fancy a black kitchen.
however, we have a tiny kitchen so it may be overpowering, plus it may be a fad....by painting it I can have it for 2 years, get it out my system then when we buy a kitchen hopefully not have my head turned by whats fashionable that very second. Plus im hoping it may tone down the orange-ness in the worksurface

petrolbluevelvet Thu 19-Oct-17 23:17:37

So, did you go ahead with it in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now