Talk

Advanced search

Creative chit chat about this cabinet?

(14 Posts)
thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:15:43

I've bought this cabinet, off a Facebook group. I love it. I want to keep it. I've been sanding all the varnish off it (it was weird, orange 'teacher's desk' colour) and think it's oak underneath (at least the drawer fronts are. The top left drawer is the sanded one, on the pic, although I've now sanded about half of the drawers and the sides.

Here's my dilemma: my dm's on holiday, my sister is growing her PFB so not really interested, dh thinks I should sell it and has zero creative vision and I need some inspiration. Pinterest both inspires and terrifies me. What do you think I should do with it? What would you do with it?

PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 26-Jun-17 14:17:28

You need to paint the top creamy white, and anything else that doesn't come up nice, wax the drawer fronts

PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 26-Jun-17 14:18:43

But what will you keep in them, the draws look quite small?

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:19:27

My thoughts so far-
Some legs? It sits flat on the ground so perhaps some short stubby wooden legs? Or hairpin legs (short ones?)

Painting the drawers with different coloured stain? Perhaps some sort of design/pattern using wood stains?

Simply sanding and waxing all over in a normal oaky colour?

Using as a wine store (each drawer holds a wine bottle quite comfortably)

Using as a shoe store- each drawer would hold a pair of adults shoes or two pairs of kids shoes yes I have already checked!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:22:08

Creamy white you say? The top is definitely the worst part, it seems to be a late addition/replacement and is, I think, oak veneer. The drawer fronts have come up beautifully so I like the idea of leaving them wood.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:23:25

Wow I love it.

I was bidding on single drawers like that (old library index systems I think) but price went too high.

I wanted them on my kitchen top for cans and herbs etc. All the extra stuff you don't use Day to day.

I was going to print labels with quirky lobsided typewriter print.

Enjoy them, they are lovely

DancingLedge Mon 26-Jun-17 14:25:20

I vote for sanding and waxing. The same all over- otherwise it will look twee.
I think its really nice. I would put small, not visible 'feet' to just lift it off floor- something like upside down rubber door stops, iyswim. Legs would look weird.
Love your payment floor.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:29:28

Winner you won't believe me when I tell you I paid £15 for it??? Yes, they are index card holders, it's obviously home made but with some skill.

They are listed for upwards of £100 on eBay but I have been watching a few and they haven't sold so that's perhaps ambitious. That's why dh thinks I should sell it

GreggsBenedict Mon 26-Jun-17 14:29:38

Mmmmm I love it!

I'd paint the top, sides, and 'frame' of the front face (the bit between the drawers) in a neutral colour, and then sand & stain the drawer fronts so they're uniform. Remove and clean / polish the label holders. Yes maybe some stubby feet - painted in the same neutral I'd say.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:32:32

Dancing thanks, we have inherited the floor in our new house!

I'm wondering about it Looking twee as well? That's a great idea for little feet just to raise it.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:35:14

Greggs that's a good idea, one colour for the frame and s different shade for the drawers. I do like the idea of showing off the real wood, it is in beautiful condition. I'll need to investigate what the handles are made of, hadn't considered they might shine up well!

Thanks everyone. This is why I love mumsnet!!

RussellTheLoveMuscle Mon 26-Jun-17 16:00:48

They are lovely. I'd take the handles off to clean them up, sand and wax the wood then handles back on, maybe with different coloured papers in label slots.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Mon 26-Jun-17 19:07:49

£15!!!!!
The Ines I was after were 6 single drawers and the went over 100.
I'd keep them if I were you. I've sold on bargains that I got and always regret it. You might make 50 or 60 but you won't get that bargain again.

A shoe rack is a great idea. Or just storage for bits and bobs

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 26-Jun-17 20:40:04

I know winner I have always coveted them from afar so snapped them up when I saw them

We have some oak furniture already so I'm definitely inclined to keep the oak colour, but possibly will do the frame darker. I would be tempted to do a very dark turquoise or similar but wary of creeping into shabby chic territory.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now