Talk

Advanced search

Little Greene paint nightmare!

(13 Posts)
user1497345957 Tue 13-Jun-17 11:03:50

I'm so outraged I want to boycott Little Greene. I don't think that's quite fair, but I just have to vent. The worst customer service I've ever had. Keep reading only if you want to get worked up...

We just moved into a much bigger place (*hooray!*) and we're getting ambitious with our painting. We ordered most of the paint from Paint and Paper Library, which delivered the next day and was all around wonderful. It was nearly £1500 and has lived up to the price. Silky smooth and great coverage.

But: there was one colour we wanted that only Little Greene had. We ordered online and waited and waited and waited. This was strange because PPL and Little Greene are the same company - they're based in the same office. And the PPL paint came so quickly...

After a full week, I called Little Greene customer service. They said, literally, 'oh that paint's not in stock right now'. No apology, no indication when it would be in stock. I insisted and she told me she would check and get back to me.

She never got back to me, and I called again a few days later. This time, she said 'It'll be in stock next week; I'll let you know when we get it'.

Of course she didn't email and it wasn't in stock the next week. So I called again, and she (it's just one woman answering all the calls) tells me that it will finally be in stock the next week - more than one month after I ordered!

I asked if this was usual practice: not to have it in stock and not to tell customers that they might have to wait one month. She said it was not normal practice, but she gave me no apology and had no empathy for our situation. We were just another annoying customer for her.

Finally the paint was sent, but it didn't arrive on the day they said it would. I waited at home all day and our buzzer rang for other deliveries but not for the paint.

I called Little Greene the next morning to ask where the paint was. She said it will definitely be coming that day. I wait at home all day AGAIN. And again no paint. I called Little Greene, and she said it should be out for delivery, but I had suspicions so I asked for the tracking number and called UPS myself.

The UPS woman said the paint had actually arrived back at the Little Greene facility in Manchester that morning at 9am!! There was some difficulty with the tracking number because it was multiple boxes, but I couldn't believe my ears. When I called that morning, Little Greene had my UPS delivery at their facility and they told me to wait for it at my home.

After I got off the phone with UPS, I called Little Greene back, but it was after hours for them. So I called first thing the next morning. Little Greene confirmed that they had my paint and said they would resend it. I insisted they send it somewhere else so I could pick it up and not be trapped at home for another day.

The paint arrived the next day and I picked it up. Success - almost 6 weeks after I ordered it. Never once in those 6 weeks did they tell me I should expect to wait so long.

And equally upsetting for me: never once in the entire process did I receive an apology. Not a single one! Not even after they discovered that I'd wasted a full day at home while the paint sat at their facility!

It was only when I sent an angry email that I got a formulaic apology and a coupon for future purchases (yeah right!).

I'm sorry for the wall of text. I'm just still so angry. I've never had such a bad customer service experience - and we spent more than £1700. I know that's not contractor-level purchases, but it was a lot for us, and Little Greene didn't seem to care at all.

Hope you've all had better paint experiences than I have. Who should I use in future? I'm thinking Farrow & Ball for the basic paints, but I've also heard good things about Craig & Rose and Zoffany...

OP’s posts: |
2014newme Tue 13-Jun-17 11:07:20

Life can be very tough 💐

user1497345957 Tue 13-Jun-17 11:12:12

It's definitely a first world problem - I realise that in my sane moments...

wowfudge Tue 13-Jun-17 12:32:27

It shows complacency from LG and possibly someone in the wrong job when it comes to customer service. I dealt with Sky over a problem yesterday and the person on their messaging system couldn't spell and had terrible grammar, but they did sort things out quickly and to my satisfaction.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 13-Jun-17 13:27:13

I hope you feel better for having got that off your chest.

I use a local interior design company to source Little Greene, who are completely brilliant and can pretty much always get it in next day for me. Maybe LG have better relationships with their trade customers than retail.

You can also get it from John Lewis.

user1497345957 Tue 13-Jun-17 15:18:06

Thanks for the sympathy. It does feel better to have all the anger outside.

I believe LG outsources their customer relations - the woman I kept speaking to didn't seem to have a close relationship with LG, which might be the same with Sky? So frustrating to think you're speaking with someone from the company, only to be fobbed off on someone who can't really help.

The John Lewis suggestion is good - thank you and I'll keep it in mind.

thelittlegreenepaintcompany Wed 14-Jun-17 11:48:35

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear that you have experienced problems with our customer service as we usually receive such positive feedback and paint that doesn't arrive on time is a huge inconvenience for all parties.

Our customer service team is based in-house and you are right that the Paint and Paper Library and Little Greene brands are handled by the same customer service teams. I think I may well be able to identify this issue as I believe it may have been the Ultra Blue colour that you had ordered. This is a very special limited edition colour and is made using a single pigment, Ultra Marine. Unlike all the other LG colours, it cannot be made instantaneously or tinted by our stockists. We recently discontinued the shade as the colour no longer appears on our updated 'Colours of England' colour card. Due to popular demand, we have decided to reintroduce the shade this week. This has meant we have been out of stock of Ultra Blue for a period of two months.

We are very disappointed to hear that this wasn't communicated to you when you placed your initial order and will speak to our customer service teams to ensure they are aware of this to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If you would like to contact us directly, we would be able to discuss this further and ensure a solution is reached. You can contact us on 0161 230 0880.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this has caused you.

Many thanks,

The Little Greene Customer Services Team

user1497345957 Wed 14-Jun-17 16:02:51

Hi Little Greene,

Thanks for reply.

I only wish you had told me this when I ordered the paint! Much less worry if I had known what to expect.

I waited for week after week with no details only vague promises of "next week". And then on the actual delivery day, I stayed home two separate days - it arrived on neither and one of those days you had the paint at your facility.

I appreciate your apology here, just as I was grateful for your apology after my angry email when the paint arrived, but I'm sure you'll appreciate that it means a lot less coming only after the fact and after I requested it.

I do wish you all the best, I just wish you had done better with me.

thelittlegreenepaintcompany Wed 14-Jun-17 16:23:14

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

We will certainly endeavour to correct this in the future and are sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

As mentioned, if you would like to speak to a member of our team about this, please contact us on 0161 230 0880 and we will ensure that this is resolved.

Many thanks,
The Little Greene Paint Company

DoItTooJulia Wed 14-Jun-17 16:29:38

Slightly weird to see this played out on a MN thread.

I hope you've refunded the cost of the paint!

DoItTooJulia Wed 14-Jun-17 16:29:43

Slightly weird to see this played out on a MN thread.

I hope you've refunded the cost of the paint!

wowfudge Wed 14-Jun-17 19:41:03

Not the first company to do this on here, probably won't be the last either.

SwedishEdith Wed 14-Jun-17 21:31:57

I'm so glad they said what colour it was - that was going to be my question.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in