Talk

Advanced search

What colour would you paint this kitchen?

(32 Posts)
peanutbother Fri 02-Jun-17 15:30:38

It started out magnolia, and I painted it all white, but now I'm starting to think it's a bit boring and cold. I want to make it a bit cosier (I think?). There's a large bare wall to the left which I've not pictured because it's covered in photos.

DarlingCoffee Fri 02-Jun-17 19:05:31

I think maybe the palest grey and you need to add some lighting over the breakfast bar

wowfudge Fri 02-Jun-17 22:27:32

What about a soft green or blue like Wedgwood blue?

Headinthedrawer Sat 03-Jun-17 06:54:17

Soft grey -I like dulux dusted moss 2.

Twooter Sat 03-Jun-17 06:59:20

I think grey would clash badly either tiles

mummabearfoyrbabybears Sat 03-Jun-17 07:24:19

A good quality wallpaper picking out the tiles always looks cosier I think.

mummabearfoyrbabybears Sat 03-Jun-17 07:24:52

The colour of the tiles not that awful tile effect wallpaper. Sorry confused

BrutusMcDogface Sat 03-Jun-17 07:28:50

I think a pale, soft grey too. I am so jealous of all the workspace in your lovely kitchen! smile

BrutusMcDogface Sat 03-Jun-17 07:30:09

Twooter- there is grey in the tiles, isn't there? On my tiny phone screen it looks like there is.

testnamechange Sat 03-Jun-17 07:32:27

Chalk Pink, Laura Ashley

MaverickSnoopy Sat 03-Jun-17 08:18:03

I think a pale soft green would be lovely.

Newtssuitcase Sat 03-Jun-17 08:22:24

I think you need a stone colour given the tiles you have. Grey will be difficult to get right since both the tiles and the floor tiles are very warm in tone.

Newtssuitcase Sat 03-Jun-17 08:23:23

But I agree with a pp, I would find a wallpaper you like for that large wall.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 03-Jun-17 08:25:20

Sage green

peanutbother Sat 03-Jun-17 09:52:52

Thank you everyone. I love the idea of soft green or blue or sage green. Going to google these now. I think a grey would be really nice too but like someone said I'd be worried about getting it wrong. I did think about lighting over the island but not sure how to do it. I don't know how people get that 'done' look in their houses, it's really hard!

peanutbother Sat 03-Jun-17 09:55:08

The tiles are various shades of beige. To be honest I don't love them or the colour of the cupboards but it would be waaaaaaay too much to replace any of it so I'm just trying to make it look nice with the cheapest thing I.e paint.

Headinthedrawer Sat 03-Jun-17 10:18:39

You could paint you've tiles white with tile paint.Therd are stickers which cover tiles too but I don't know how good they are...saw them.in Ideal Home a while back.

peanutbother Sat 03-Jun-17 11:19:39

Tile paint what a good idea! Thank you

dontcallmelen Sat 03-Jun-17 22:40:18

Yy sage green & maybe on the wall behind the island a bright retro print wallpaper, also bring in some colour with blinds/tea towels etc.

dontcallmelen Sat 03-Jun-17 22:43:56

Lots of great lighting about for islands, sort of long that hang a bit lower than normal light fittings & usually have at least three lights on.
Next have some reasonably priced ones.

PickAChew Sat 03-Jun-17 22:44:31

YY to a soft green. Laura Ashley Willow is particularly lovely
www.google.co.uk/search?q=laura+ashley+willow&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwieydLD0qLUAhXLaVAKHWOSCmAQ_AUICygC&biw=1151&bih=709

But no to tile paint. It never looks good and chips easily.

PickAChew Sat 03-Jun-17 22:46:32

Just realised that brough up more of the pussy willow pattern than the colour willow
www.google.co.uk/search?q=laura+ashley+willow+paint&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjaodiF06LUAhVFJ1AKHTj4BDoQ_AUIBygC&biw=1151&bih=709

Twooter Sun 04-Jun-17 05:54:08

I too would avoid tile paint. I used it once and whereas it looked great from a distance, close up it was covered in dry drips.

mathanxiety Sun 04-Jun-17 07:07:02

Burgundy, or a warm dark grey.

Pastels would be eaten alive by your beige tiles and the cabinet colour. You need to go bold and dark. The counter will balance a more intense colour.

I would save my pennies and even not go on holidays until I could get rid of those tiles if I were you, and the floor too.

peanutbother Sun 04-Jun-17 15:03:09

Math I never considered that I could change the tiles, that's an excellent idea. Has anyone ever done tiling themselves? It seems like a reasonable thing to undertake or am I kidding myself?

Thank you all for your suggestions they've really given me something to think about and ideas that had never occurred to me before.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: