Talk

Advanced search

Coat pegs in narrow hallway - pic attached

(12 Posts)
Mumneedstea Wed 31-May-17 22:25:20

Hi all,

Need some advice. Would you put some coat pegs in this hallway - to the left of the door... Opposite the shoe cupboard?
Right now our coats live on a free standing coat stand in the living room. This is just temporary as we are currently not using our living room (it's being used to store boxes while we settle into the new place!)

My worry is that hanging coats on the wall next to the door will make this already narrow hallway even smaller. Thoughts?
We do have a utility room just off the hallway and I can have some pegs put in there. However, with 2 DCs, I have a feeling I am eventually going ro need loada of hanging space once school bags and bok bags come in to picture!

TIA smile

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 31-May-17 22:26:58

I'd love the shoe storage and put hooks behind the door

NapQueen Wed 31-May-17 22:27:06

Have you got an under stairs cupboard? Could you put some hooks in there?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 31-May-17 22:27:24

Move, even. Sorry, phone being stupid.

Jfw82 Wed 31-May-17 22:29:04

Could you not have a lower level shoe rack with coats above to keep everything in one side ?

BitOutOfPractice Wed 31-May-17 22:31:28

Double tier pegs in the utility room.

Top tier for adults. Bottom tier for kids. Shoe rack underneath.

Job's a good'un

3boys3dogshelp Wed 31-May-17 22:31:31

No if you put coat hooks there it will look really untidy all the time. You will probably knock them off when you come in. If you can hide them in the utility room that sounds far better.

Joinourclub Wed 31-May-17 22:31:42

Move the shoe cupboard to the utility room and put the coat hooks there. Get a low shoe storage bench to go under the coats. Then don't put EVERY coat on the hooks. Store other seasons in bedroom/utility room etc.

I have a coat cupboard that isn't near the front door. Coats end up in a pile by the front door rather than in the cupboard.

Mumneedstea Thu 01-Jun-17 21:53:56

Thanks all for your responses!

Cannot move the shoe cupboard to the utility room as it's pretty narrow and won't fit. I could buy a new slimmer cupboard and get rid of this one.
I also like the idea of keeping the shoe rack where it is and keep all coats and jackets in the utility room.

lashy Mon 05-Jun-17 23:44:05

We recently bought the Ikea Hemnes shoe cupboard (with 4 identical sized drawers) for our hall.
Each drawer is the perfect width to fit a [standard sized] school book bag.
Our 2 children put their book bags in each of the bottom drawers & both pairs of school shoes in one top drawer, with hats / scarves / brollies etc in the other.
Ensuring myself, the husband and children have, typically, one coat each [2 at most] pegged up on the hall coat hooks [a row of 6 hooks from Homebase], there's plenty room still available for guests coats. Looks like you have enough room for a similar set-up.

NotJanine Tue 06-Jun-17 13:21:04

My hallway is narrower than that and I have coat hooks on the wall. It is fine.

JoJoSM2 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:26:07

I'd try to have coats elsewhere too. Otherwise, they will be the first thing you see when you open the door - not very inviting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now