Talk

Advanced search

Built in bedroom furniture: I get it now

(33 Posts)
MorrisZapp Sun 21-May-17 09:27:08

I've always been a bit snobby about built in wardrobes etc in bedrooms, I'll never forget the overbed 'unit' my parents had in the eighties.

But having spent all day yesterday in a hurricane of dust, cleaning out our underbed storage and the boxes on top of the wardrobe, I'm now fantasising about full height built in storage.

We have high ceilings so there's space up there - being in a flat means all space is at a premium.

DP will freak out at the mere mention of built in furniture in our Victorian tenement flat, but it seems so sensible to me.

Anyone got built ins in an old house?

Pagwatch Sun 21-May-17 09:31:42

Do it. They are better than they used to be back in the day.

Its not quite the same but I have an old house with a butlers pantry and there were cupboards in there which I replaced with ceiling height storage cupboard and wardrobes for coats etc. They completely work and having clean sleek storage is so great.

MorrisZapp Sun 21-May-17 09:32:20

Oh god now I'm jealous.

MorrisZapp Sun 21-May-17 09:33:36

Do you send DH up a ladder smile

ZeldaWasMyGransName Sun 21-May-17 09:37:23

Totally know what you mean about those old 80s built ins, but we now have a full wall of sleek minimalist wardrobes which we planned the inside to fit our specific stuff and got a carpenter to build. If you're in London and want someone good I can recommend a guy!

They fit sooo much stuff and look great.

Pagwatch Sun 21-May-17 09:42:11

I have a step stool and I make DH put his shit on the top shelves grin

He keeps half filled paint tins 'just in case'. What's that all about?

TattiePants Sun 21-May-17 19:34:28

My house was built in the 1920's and has quite high ceilings upstairs. Like you, I always disliked fitted wardrobes but had some floor to ceiling ones built in the spare room a couple of months ago. They're built out of MDF, with painted outsides. They are AMAZING! They're not even half full and we have so much storage.

Pagwatch Sun 21-May-17 19:37:28

Obviously not a bedroom but look at that storage.
<smug as fuck>

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 21-May-17 19:43:58

I'm green with envy Pagwatch

Something like this would work perfectly in our porch which gets so cluttered up with crap!
Any chance of a photo of the inside if the floor to ceiling cupboards? (I don't want to see your DH's paint tins I promise - would just give me a better idea of how much space is inside!)

allegretto Sun 21-May-17 19:44:41

We don't have fitted wardrobes but they are 2.8m along an entire wall and you can fit so much stuff in!

Pagwatch Sun 21-May-17 20:24:46

No problem I'll take some when I'm at home tomorrow.

RandomMess Sun 21-May-17 20:29:59

I have a tall DH so we had a large section of hanging rails with his tops/trousers hanging above my tops grin it double the handing space so easily!

MorrisZapp Sun 21-May-17 23:14:00

Bloody gorgeous Pag, interior cupboard shots hotly anticipated.

QuitMoaning Mon 22-May-17 07:45:14

We had some fitted a year ago which I still adore

(My first photo upload so might not work)

TattiePants Mon 22-May-17 09:38:40

Theses are mine that I've just had fitted in the spare bedroom. I also have a fabulous walk in cupboard in the hall downstairs for coats, shoes and a whole load of other crisp,

TattiePants Mon 22-May-17 09:39:02

Crisp?? Crap!!

MorrisZapp Mon 22-May-17 12:09:26

Cupboard envy sad

Keep the pics coming, I need to open DPs mind!

pitterpatterrain Mon 22-May-17 12:11:24

Watching with joy

Zelda - yes I would love a reco

AyeAmarok Mon 22-May-17 12:17:15

I love Victorian tenements and their wonderful high ceilings.

It's just making good use of the space.

peonyinparadise Mon 22-May-17 12:21:57

Tattiepants. Love your cupboards.

Kokusai Mon 22-May-17 12:59:23

@TattiePants that is super

GingerKitCat Mon 22-May-17 18:39:12

I don't have fitted wardrobes but I have an IKEA Pax system in 236cm height and it is glorious! It nearly touches the ceiling. So much space grin

ChishandFips33 Wed 24-May-17 06:10:35

Aw I miss my Pax wardrobes - house 1 was exactly the right ceiling height and width to make everything look fitted. I then went silly with the interior stuff and had a solition for pretty much everything

House 2 Pax again but got a joiner to add to them to give them the fitted look and seal off any dust collecting surfaces

This house...already has fitted (kind of) wardrobes and I thought I could add the Pax interiors/Alex drawers but whoever built them didn't make them quite deep enough grrrr!

Pagwacth - loving that space and yes to DH collecting mindless crap 'just in case' - must be a man/hunter - gatherer thing!

Whattodowithaminute Wed 24-May-17 07:42:32

Storage envy here. We are buying a house at the moment and in planning built in storage everywhere. DH is a bit hmm about it all but is letting me get on with it. tattie those wardrobes are lovely-are they custom built?
pagwatch what do you have in bottom cupboards? That looks the set up I want for my utility room but not sure I've quite got the width for the cupboards on both sides.

Softkitty2 Wed 24-May-17 10:49:11

Those who have built in storage is it expensive to get a carpenter/joiner to do it or is the high street cheaper?

I'm interested because we have odd spaces at home and would like built in storage to maximise space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now