Talk

Advanced search

Small alarm clock with gentle wake-up sound?

(10 Posts)
lawn Tue 16-May-17 08:24:05

I've just tidied my bedside table and got rid of my big clock radio. I've started using the Nightstand app on my phone which wakes me up with birdsong - bliss! But I don't like taking my phone to bed with me. Has anyone seen a small, nice-looking clock (preferably black) that has a similarly gentle alarm?

Fragglez Tue 16-May-17 08:27:27

No help on the small click front i am afraid, but i too hate loud alarms - i wake up with a jump and feeling sick!

I tune my radio alarm in to static between stations. Might that be an option?

lawn Tue 16-May-17 10:49:49

Yes awful start to the day isn't it? I got rid of my radio alarm clock so that won't work for me - and I really love the birdsong so am looking for something similarly harmonious! Thanks though

tabithasgran Wed 17-May-17 09:08:10

Have you considered waking up to a lumin clock instead? Using light to wake you? Much nicer start to the day

Changingagain Wed 17-May-17 09:11:10

Not the same but I use my fitbit alarm. Vibrates on my wrist, never fails to wake me but doesn't disturb anyone else and, I find it a much calmer wake up. Bit expensive if you don't already have one though.

megletthesecond Wed 17-May-17 09:22:51

A lumie . Mine is the mid range model (approx £75 iirc) and it's worked fine for five years now. I have that on one side with the sunrise and birdsong and my clock radio on the other.

lawn Wed 17-May-17 09:55:42

Thanks all! I just donated my fitbit to my daughter as I wasn't using it (though I agree the vibrate function is good), and I sleep with an eye mask so light won't work for me - but I didn't know lumies had birdsong - sounds like a good option even if I don't use the light. Will investigate - thanks again for all the tips.

lawn Wed 17-May-17 10:15:46

Hmm, the lumie is a bit big, but that suggestion has led me to this which might work, as I don't need the waking-up light function. You can put a USB stick in it with your own songs on, so I guess I could download some nice nature sounds or gentle music and use that ...

ThisIsNotARealAvo Wed 17-May-17 11:13:16

Have you tried clock radio tuned to radio 4? Works much better for me as it's not music, just quiet talking. I hate waking up to loud sounds.

lawn Wed 17-May-17 11:25:03

Yeah I've got rid of my clock radio now and won't be getting a new one - it was too big and I've done the radio 4 thing in the past but find birdsong far preferable - the Today Programme stresses me out these days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now