Talk

Advanced search

changing a fold out sofa bed to an Ikea day bed?

(19 Posts)
salvage Sun 14-May-17 21:54:35

We live overseas and regularly have visitors staying so we bought a fold out sofa bed. We then had to buy a mattress topper as the mattress was so hard, but its 4 inches too narrow on an already small double.
I didn't want a day bed as I thought it would be awkward for the person on the out side to have no headboard and the first person being stuck/hemmed in on three sides. But at least each gets a proper mattress.
oldest visitors are mid 60's and younger ones generally end up with a toddler in bed.
should I just stick with the fold out or are the day beds comfortable enough?

Ketzele Sun 14-May-17 22:11:19

I'll be interested in answers to this. I have a sofabed which is hugely comfortable as a sofa, but hideously uncomfortable as a bed (it feels like you always have to choose...). Also it's very awkward to convert and often gets stuck halfway. I've got my eye on the Ikea Fyresdal but I'm worried it won't be so comfy as a sofa.

DragonNoodleCake Sun 14-May-17 22:14:43

I've got a day bed from Ikea - it's an ok bed. But a crap sofa. We have it in the spare room, in case some one wants to watch some thing different on TV it's mostly used to house the ever growing ironing pile.

My IL's have a sofa bed, great sofa, horrendously uncomfortable bed. They spent a lot on it too.

I'm not sure what the answer is

welshweasel Sun 14-May-17 22:15:56

The Ikea hemnes day bed is amazingly comfortable to sleep on but an utterly shit sofa.

Ketzele Sun 14-May-17 22:17:45

Oh dear, it's all a bit daddy or chips isn't it.

salvage Sun 14-May-17 22:34:18

Its a playroom toy storage the rest of the time, fairly comfortable as a sofa but kids rarely sit on it as there's no tv in there.
Yes all the day beds are wood or metal, I can see the toddler smacking her head back already.
Daddy or chips - exactly!

NameChanger22 Sun 14-May-17 22:38:16

We have an Ikea day bed. It's great as a bed as it has a really good mattress on it. We don't really use it as a sofa, but with lots of good cushions it could be very comfortable. I've slept on sofa beds before and they're usually uncomfortable.

salvage Sun 14-May-17 22:38:43

We nearly bought the Hemnes but Ikea couldn't deliver and build in time, reading the reviews I wouldn't let DH loose on it.
There's a Fyresdal going cheap which has inspired me to over think this.

salvage Mon 15-May-17 00:14:09

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2929381-To-ask-if-you-were-a-guest-in-someones-home-would-you?pg=5&order=

And there's the answer

PocketNiffler Mon 15-May-17 08:09:59

We have a daybed in our playroom and it's actually nice to have a bed in there rather than a sofa, lots of cushions make it comfy for reading books and quite often one of us will doze in it if the dc are up extra early.

welshweasel Mon 15-May-17 09:11:32

The hemnes is pretty easy to build. I did it with minimal assistance and I'm shit at this stuff.

donajimena Mon 15-May-17 09:15:26

My brother bought an amazing sofa bed from ikea. Its L shaped with ottoman storage and to convert into a bed all you do is pull out a draw and pull up a piece that makes it into a double. Its a comfortable sofa and a really comfortable sofa bed.
I want to buy one to replace my old pull out one.

PhilODox Mon 15-May-17 09:40:23

My brother also has the lshaped one- very happy with it, comfortable either mode. I don't have a sister though, so you're safe donajimena!

welshweasel Mon 15-May-17 09:49:34

Actually we had one of those L shaped ones too, I'd forgotten about those. It was v comfortable to sleep on and a good sofa. We also have an IKEA lyksele. I'd say the L-shaped one is best, then the hemnes, then the lyksele.

Intransige Mon 15-May-17 09:53:53

The brimnes day bed from Ikea is one of the hardest flat packs I've built and I've done a lot of them! Loooooong set of instructions and a lot of room for error if you aren't good with detail. I enjoyed it but I like flat pack construction smile

It's very comfortable as a bed but as PPs have said it's a rubbish sofa. It's also awkward to move so hard to vacuum behind.

DragonNoodleCake Mon 15-May-17 10:52:11

We thought about getting one of those Ikea L shape ones - but I feel so wasteful as the hemnes day bed has plenty of life in it. I guess I could give it away. (Also The though of dismantling and getting the thing down the stairs makes me shudder)

I've got an Ikea Soderhamn which I bought as a sofa and for occasional guest use. I've slept on it myself a few times and it's really comfy to sleep on.

GinGeum Sun 21-May-17 06:07:45

I had a Hemnes day bed as my main bed for a while when I was a live-in nanny. It was incredibly comfortable (and spacious!). Even more comfortable than mine and OH's proper double bed now, I'd say.

It was uncomfortable as a sofa, but if it won't be used as one very often, I'd sacrifice that for the comfy bed!

Nessalina Sun 21-May-17 06:27:41

I've just slept last night on a Hemnes day bed, and it's super comfy smile Nice firm mattress and plenty of leg room. I've always thought they look very nice in a room, but you'd need plenty of cushions to make it comfy as a sofa for more than one. I'm currently sitting on it propped up on pillows chaise lounge style - fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now