Talk

Advanced search

What would you put on wall?

(56 Posts)
hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 09:12:46

This is the plan for our kitchen. The island is not to scale so don't think it's going to be quite as imposing 😂😂 what would you put on the wall top left? Would you tile it or just leave it painted?

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 14-May-17 17:24:50

In a kitchen I think splash back areas should be tiled, maybe about a foot up from the work surface, anything other than that, paint, and you might find a picture or some art you'd like to hang there in the future.

hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 17:32:05

Yeah agree about splashbacks but because both sink and hob are on island wasn't sure if it was required confused

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 14-May-17 17:37:02

Is it that big white bit (sorry) just paint it. No need for tiles.

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 14-May-17 17:39:13

If your sink or hob is next to a wall, even side on, I would have some kind of splashback.

hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 17:44:25

Neither the sink or hob are going to be next to walls the island will be able to be walked right round.

Yep it is the big white bit ..... It's not going to be this sparse and drab looking in real life! This is just for an idea of layout grin

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 14-May-17 17:52:33

Have to say (I know you didn't ask) but your sink looks really impractical.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 14-May-17 17:56:42

Turn the island 90 degrees and put it in the middle of your kitchen and get some more quotes.

hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 18:02:59

In what way is the sink impractical? We will have a dishwasher if that makes any difference. Where would you put the sink? Any help much appreciated. Can't turn the island round as I want there to be room at end of room for dining table

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 14-May-17 18:08:01

Your sink faces a wall. Just turn it and put it opposite to the hob.

hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 18:25:35

So I would need to walk right round the island to get go it you mean? It won't be facing a wall it will be facing a bay window.

BuzzKillington Sun 14-May-17 18:29:48

I wouldn't tile or splashback unless it was absolutely necessary - which I don't think it would be in that area.

hilbil21 Sun 14-May-17 19:50:57

justdont I have gone round and round in circles about layout to use the space we have in the best way we can. I do take on board what you've said but this is the only way possible I think

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 15:41:18

I've started to question the layout now confused lol

dilapidated Mon 15-May-17 17:29:49

Agree with PP's - layout looks really weird.

Unless there are things missing totally from the visual

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 17:45:29

We are knocking down a wall and making a kitchen diner but the dining room is a few feet longer than the kitchen. On one side of the kitchen there's a back door and a few feet along from it (once the wall knocked down) is a bay window. So we can't put any units along that entire area (the large white bit on the graphic). I've wracked my brains but to have the island the way we need it to have enough room for a dining table this is the only way I can come up with. I don't think this picture helps because it makes the island look so large shock

heateallthebuns Mon 15-May-17 18:11:01

I don't get why you can't put units there?

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 18:20:36

Well we can't put units infront of a door or we wouldn't be able to get through it and I just think they would look odd right infront of a window

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 18:35:10

I've gone back to our joiner confused I need to be happy with what we are getting as it's not cheap

heateallthebuns Mon 15-May-17 18:43:54

Where is the door? I think I need a plan of the room!!

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 19:02:19

This is my best artwork lol hope it helps a bit.... at the moment there's a wall between where the ovens and hob are on my drawing but it's getting knocked down. This is what we've planned that I'm starting to question. Especially the "walk" between the ovens and hob but I can't see any other way.

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 19:03:25

It's uploaded at the wrong angle but you hopefully get the idea. It's currently a pretty small galley kitchen. Any help VERY gratefully received

User06383 Mon 15-May-17 19:25:59

Tile it.

I don't limit myself to throwing food just around the hob or the sink!

heateallthebuns Mon 15-May-17 19:32:15

I think the layout looks good. What are you not sure of? Where is the dishwasher?

hilbil21 Mon 15-May-17 19:42:21

The dishwasher is in the island. I'm now not sure of the location of the sink due to previous posters, and I'm concerned about the approx 7 foot "walk" between the hob and ovens. I'm thinking a gap of that much might look a bit odd. But there's not really any way round it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now