Talk

Advanced search

Sink or hob on kitchen island?

(8 Posts)
Twerking9to5 Sat 13-May-17 22:04:22

Redoing our kitchen soon and want an island. Due to lack of counter space elsewhere, will prob need to put the hob (induction) or sink in Island. Not sure which though-hob, I worry my small children will touch it if sitting at the island (although they are possibly too small to actually sit up there and when they're bigger they'd hopefully know not to?).

But then is a sink a bit messy if you have a few bits drying?

I feel like this is a ridiculous "problem" to have but would appreciate thoughts!!

Chocolateteabag Sat 13-May-17 22:12:21

Sink would be ok if you are (or become) v good at washing and the immediately drying and putting stuff away
Friends who have a large island bith have sinks in them not hobs
Both are obsessive tidy house proud families where everything is always put away
They describe my house as "homey" (normal)

SleepingBooty Sat 13-May-17 22:14:06

Would you need to fit an extractor fan above for a hob?

SherlocksDeerstalker Sat 13-May-17 22:17:29

I hate anything on an island personally, but if space makes it a must I'd go with hob. You can still fit an extractor above - my SIL has this arrangement and it works well at gatherings as everyone congregates round it and hob just gets covered in food and nibbles! Put your leg recess as far away as possible for the kids.

Twerking9to5 Sat 13-May-17 22:21:21

Hmmm. chocolateteabag I'm also of the more "homey" variety.

I think you can get these fancy (read: expensive) downdraft extractors but they look to be about £2k!!!

I think I might be veering towards hob as can't trust myself with a sparkling sink 24/7

Thanks for your input!!

QuitMoaning Sat 13-May-17 22:24:02

I am going with hob as a sink fully of dirty pans will irritate me.
If friends are round we will congregate around the island while I am cooking and I can join in. No one wants to gather around dirty dishes.

Twerking9to5 Sat 13-May-17 22:30:12

Are you getting the downdraft extractor quit?

QuitMoaning Mon 15-May-17 08:57:39

Yes, looked at extractor in the hob but that is more expensive so going for one that rises out of the island. Saw a clear glass one I liked recently.
Builders booked for early September so I need to get all the other bits organised. Exciting stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now