Talk

Advanced search

Dark hall - colour recommendations?

(9 Posts)
Cuppatea14 Wed 10-May-17 14:53:13

Need to reprint our very dark hall/stairs/landing, it's currently grey and is horribly gloomy. The stairs and landing are carpeted with oatmeal colour but I want to re-carpet them charcoal grey hopefully next year. The hall has floorboards, not very dark coloured. Front door is black. Dh is tempted to go stark white but I think this may be a disaster with small children?? We definitely need something brighter though, it's like walking into a cave at the moment.

Ketzele Wed 10-May-17 22:58:06

Hmm, stark white in a dark hallway may look very cold and gloomy.

One tactic would be to go with the dark and make it really dark - perhaps a petrol blue, or what about Farrow & Ball Pelt - and put bright things against it, like mirrors and illuminated signs. This would work best if you have light, bright rooms leading off it.

Cuppatea14 Thu 11-May-17 14:56:01

That's a thought, we do have bright rooms leading off. Not sure I'll sell it to DH but you never know, might do a bit of pinteresting...

FurbysMakeSexNoises Fri 12-May-17 21:13:58

Have a look at little Greene- they do some gorgeous warm colours. I've done my hallways in Aged Ivory (well the Johnstone's very good copy) and it's a lovely warm deep colour which goes with everything.

Ketzele Fri 12-May-17 22:31:39

I have a room in Habitat Olive, which is a rich strong colour but also mellow and buttery...

jenks81 Sat 13-May-17 17:19:46

We have a very similar sounding hallway to you and we're about to paint it f & b strong white.

LightYears Sat 13-May-17 17:31:42

One of those toned down whites but with a satin finish, so you can wipe clean.

Cuppatea14 Sun 14-May-17 20:19:57

Yes that F&b strong white is what we were thinking, but will need a sturdier brand that will withstand the offspring. Needs to be wipeable. I also do love that habitat olive, but think we will have the same issue as we do with the grey. I think we need to go either white or else very bold dark, Abigail Aherne style, which I'm not sure the rest of our house is trendy enough to carry off!!

LightYears Sun 14-May-17 20:41:36

I think the white is your best bet, because you can add pictures etc for interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now