Talk

Advanced search

Tiles to go with new kitchen

(19 Posts)
ParadiseLaundry Sun 07-May-17 08:15:59

Please help, I've been up since 4am thinking about this!

What colour tiles should I go for with the below kitchen (it's just a 3D picture from Ikea but the colours are accurate).

I think I would like green but am worried that when it goes out of fashion it will date the kitchen (still planning on having green accents though, things that are easily changeable).

DH thinks white but I'm not sure that will go with the off white doors, not sure about off white either though as I think it might look a bit bland!

I would really appreciate fresh eyes and opinions please!

wowfudge Tue 09-May-17 19:15:02

We have cream tiles in our kitchen - looks a very similar colour to the IKEA one. Get lots of samples though. One person's cream is another person's custard yellow! We only have the splashback round the cooker tiled. The walls are where we have used colour.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Tue 09-May-17 19:24:23

Following as we have the same doors and a wooden top, although different to the worktop you have. I want to be really brave with the coloir, but like you dont want it to date too quickly. When i was a child my mum painted our kitchen a dark pink. It was really brave but looked amazing.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 12-May-17 14:42:21

Don't know if you can see properly from picture. I had pale grey tiles with cream cabinetry at my old house (and sage green walls - gooseberry fool 3 by Dulux) with plum/aubergine as accents.

If you did want to go with offwhite maybe having a grey grout rather than white would look nice.

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 18:25:27

Thanks everyone, still stressing about this! Thanks wow, will try to get some samples or take bits of cabinet and work top into a shop. Chocolate, have you seen anything you like recently? Allthebest, your kitchen is gorgeous! It's giving me second thoughts about mine now blush I think the grey is pretty future proof, I don't think it would go with mine though. What about a cool stony greyish beige? I'll go and look for something in real like that matches what I can see in my head!

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 18:26:22

Sorry, just noticed, your old kitchen.

ZaZathecat Fri 12-May-17 18:28:28

I like these, but laid in the more usual brick formation.

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 18:30:07

Just seen this and love it. The kitchen is similar to mine too. Am concerned about how it will date but if I love it now does it matter? They do it in oatmeal too which looks nice but a bit more pared pack.

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 18:31:13

Zaza, I love that too but I already know DH would hate it!

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 18:32:33

Should also say my new oven is black so would need to go with that too. Sorry for boring you all to death.

DitchCamille Fri 12-May-17 18:43:25

I don't think you should stop yourself from having what you like now in case it goes out of fashion.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 12-May-17 19:14:49

I think the green will look fab and I don't think it will go out of style! That kitchen I posted above I did in 2009 and its still going strong.

I have an entirely different kitchen now

ParadiseLaundry Fri 12-May-17 19:22:23

Thank you both, I think I should just go for it! Allthebest, well done for choosing that kitchen eight years ago! It still looks really modern!

wowfudge Sat 13-May-17 13:20:22

I think those tiles you are looking at look like the Savoy range by Johnson's. Johnson's have a factory shop and you can order via phone/email from them - might work out cheaper, it did for us. We had the oatmeal ones in our bathroom at our old house. The colour variation in them is lovely. I really like the greeny ones though. Topps sell them as Attingham.

LightYears Sat 13-May-17 13:30:59

Do you have to have tiles. I've just got matching upstands to my worktop. Then painted my wall a nice light green. Which I'll be able to change at will.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Sat 20-May-17 21:08:17

I really like the sage green colour, and the pistachio tiles look really lovely. I wanted sage cabinets but went for cream so think sage on the wall would be lovely. Maybe with a grey on the walls where tiles arn't needed? Just got to convince dh that tiles will be nice behind the oven (also black like yours op) as he would prefer a glass/stainless steel/some other material splash back, all one piece as thinks its easier to clean than grout

ParadiseLaundry Sat 20-May-17 22:40:22

Chocolate, I'm with you, tiles look way better and they're not that difficult to clean, even above the oven really. We still haven't decided! I change my mind every few days grin hopefully going to look at some with samples of the kitchen to get s better idea

GerbitaFillsbottomMcSimmons Thu 25-May-17 15:38:11

I second Light Years point. Do you really need tiles? A big movement in kitchen design at the moment is just to have an upstand with no tiles (see Devol kitchens which are stunning). That way you can just change the colour at will. Our walls are modern emulsion and any stains or splashes just wipe right off.

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Thu 25-May-17 21:49:11

Do you not need a splashback behind the hob/sink though? Or will good paint be wipe clean and waterproof enough for that too? We have an upstand round the rest of the worktop and so will paint those walls, but that wont be sufficient for hob and sink will it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now